Viking

Mark M

Here is a reverse photo with the pins in the raised position to show where the screw posts were originally attached. However, there is no evidence on the reverse eagles of a retaining pin having ever been attached. Perhaps this was an economy move by HH to use up existing stocks of the anchors during wartime?

post-569-1204850369.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Hi Mark, I am so happy for you... indeed a long search and a good find too. My take is these are of the mid-late WW2 period production... and far fewer are around than the standard H&H hallmark or H&H/Imperial hallmark. Prior to 1942 H&H used its single hallmark methods, after acquiring Imperial the dual use of both existed for at least a year and most likely after due to shelf stocks. At some point after 1943 this emblem you share with us appeared sporting a "Viking" hallmark on the anchor stock. It is not clear to me how long the use of this configuration of hallmarks persisted, nor the reasons for dropping the "Imperial" hallmark. I suppose it will remain one of many EGA mysteries that someday will be revealed...

A couple other reasons for the pinback conversion come to my mind. One being converted for use on dress epaulets...? The second, the Marine simply hated getting a neck burn rub by the screwpost and or nut. Nonetheless your suggest may be the explanation for these these pins.

BTW, H&H did make these in matched sets, pictured is a barracks cover emblem...

viking_cover_emblem.jpg

• 8 years later...
Bob Hudson

I recently picked up a Hilborn-Hamburger EGA with the VIKING mark and discovered there hasn't been a lot written here about the dual hallmark H&H/Viking devices.

A search of Google's book section turned up a couple of references, the most interesting one being from 1943, an ad which specifically mentions cap "devices."

I also found a 1935 ad for H&H/Viking buttons, which touted the buttons as being, "Crushproof - heavily gold-plated - made like jewelry..." There is also a label from the H&H/Viking buttons.

HHvikingads.jpg

HHvikingLabel.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg