• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mark M

Mark M
  • Members
    • Member ID: 569
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 04:36 PM

I have been hunting for a pair of these for some time and a set has finally come home to roost! This is an interesting set of collar EGAs as it appears to have originally started life as a set of screwbacks and then converted. It is plain to see on the reverse where the bolt has been cut off and filed before the pinback devices were solder on. Was this common?

Regards,

Mark

PS - A huge thank you to Jeremiah and Darrell for all their help with these!

Viking_01.JPG

#2 Mark M

Mark M
  • Members
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 04:38 PM

Reverse is marked VIKING as well as HH with eagle, STERLING and 1/20 10K STERLING.

Viking_02.JPG

#3 Mark M

Mark M
  • Members
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 04:41 PM

Here is a reverse photo with the pins in the raised position to show where the screw posts were originally attached. However, there is no evidence on the reverse eagles of a retaining pin having ever been attached. Perhaps this was an economy move by HH to use up existing stocks of the anchors during wartime?

Viking_03.JPG

#4 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,397 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:54 AM

Hi Mark, I am so happy for you... indeed a long search and a good find too. My take is these are of the mid-late WW2 period production... and far fewer are around than the standard H&H hallmark or H&H/Imperial hallmark. Prior to 1942 H&H used its single hallmark methods, after acquiring Imperial the dual use of both existed for at least a year and most likely after due to shelf stocks. At some point after 1943 this emblem you share with us appeared sporting a "Viking" hallmark on the anchor stock. It is not clear to me how long the use of this configuration of hallmarks persisted, nor the reasons for dropping the "Imperial" hallmark. I suppose it will remain one of many EGA mysteries that someday will be revealed...

A couple other reasons for the pinback conversion come to my mind. One being converted for use on dress epaulets...? The second, the Marine simply hated getting a neck burn rub by the screwpost and or nut. Nonetheless your suggest may be the explanation for these these pins.

BTW, H&H did make these in matched sets, pictured is a barracks cover emblem...

Attached Images

• viking_cover_emblem.jpg

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:12 AM

Mark, glad to see that you got these! I'm guessing they are going to live on Lt. Anderson's whites? Very neat jeweler work on them, thanks for showing the images.

#6 Mark M

Mark M
  • Members
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:26 AM

Mark, glad to see that you got these! I'm guessing they are going to live on Lt. Anderson's whites? Very neat jeweler work on them, thanks for showing the images.

Thanks again for both of your help on this.

Jeremiah - you are 100% correct on your assumption. It is being pressed right now and I only need one more small item to finish it before posting!

Mark

#7 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,397 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:15 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the EGA "reference section". This area is were posts from the EGA "discussion section" are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the "EGA discussion area" which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff

#8 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 24,819 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:12 PM

I recently picked up a Hilborn-Hamburger EGA with the VIKING mark and discovered there hasn't been a lot written here about the dual hallmark H&H/Viking devices.

A search of Google's book section turned up a couple of references, the most interesting one being from 1943, an ad which specifically mentions cap "devices."

I also found a 1935 ad for  H&H/Viking buttons, which touted the buttons as being, "Crushproof - heavily gold-plated - made like jewelry..."  There is also a label from the H&H/Viking buttons.

HHvikingads.jpg

HHvikingLabel.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)