114th Engineers, 1918-19

carthage light guard

carthage light guard

I realize this is a bit of a longshot, but I'm looking for any photos relating to the 114th Engineer Regiment during World War I. I'm editing the memoirs of a member of Company E, and am having no luck finding photos of members of the regiment, their activities, etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, with full credit given for any photographs that I use.

Thanks!

Jeff Patrick

I do have the regimental history, but there aren't any photos in it. The photo is 8.5" x 19", and shows the HQ Company, including the band.

• 4 weeks later...
hilltopr73

Jeff,

If the 114th Engineers you're looking for is the one that was the Sapper Regiment of the 39th Division [1st Army--1st Corps], then I may have some items that might be helpful to you. My father served in Co. B of the 114th; I have a copy of the Regimental Roster, 114 Engineer, AEF, France, 1918-1919. I also have my father's Individual Pay Record Book for his service. My family also has a regimental photo--one of the long group photos taken with a "fish-eye" lens of the whole regiment. It is in the possession of either my sister-in-law or my nephew (not exactly sure who has it since my brother died several years ago)--but I can still get my hands on it if you are interested in a copy of the photograph.

Let me know,

Bob Strong

I realize this is a bit of a longshot, but I'm looking for any photos relating to the 114th Engineer Regiment during World War I. I'm editing the memoirs of a member of Company E, and am having no luck finding photos of members of the regiment, their activities, etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, with full credit given for any photographs that I use.

Thanks!

Jeff Patrick

• 3 years later...

My grand dad was in Co. A 114th Engrs, 39th Div. AEF, I have one photo of him at Camp Beaurgard. His name was Alexandre A. Soileau,

• 10 months later...

Hi.

My Father served in the 114th Engineers From federal call up until Nov 1918. He enlisted in March 1917 just before the US entry into WWI.. I have pictures from Camp Beauregard. I also have the above mentioned booklet that contains a roster of all 114th personnel. It gives a brief history of the 114th . It also provides the name, rank, and home address and occupation. My father was a 2LT in Co. B. He was transferred to the 26th Engineers during the Meuse-Argonne. I have his discharge and his Victory Medal with three bars

• 8 months later...
curbdiggercarl

Greetings! I'm new here, first post.

Actually, the main reason I joined was because I was researching a photo scrap album

that I found years ago.

There is a section of WW1 photographs, with quite a few pertaining to the 114th.

I don't know if this thread is still active, but if so, I'd be happy to send scans to you.

(Once I set up my printer, I just recently moved)

The album belonged to a Edward Bres, who was a 1st Lieutenant of Engineers, and actually a decent photographer.

Carl

• 1 month later...
Andy Thaggard

Hello all, I'm looking for a copy of the regimental history of the 114th Engineers from WWI. Mississippi contributed Company A, and perhaps more, to the regiment. We have discovered a 39th Division 'tour book' at the MS Department of Archives and History that has photos of the entire regiment (and more). There is also a First Army tour book that has lots of photos, including the Meuse-Argonne action. I'm trying to see if digital copies already exist of these books before asking MDAH to scan them because the books are frail.

If you have copies of any of these that you would be willing to share, please email me: [email protected]

• 1 month later...

I would be interested to see any photos and/or rosters also. My great grandfather was with the 114th and sailed for France on August 22, 1918 after training at Camp Beauregard. His name was John B. Casteix. Heres the last page of the passenger list and he is entry 103 and was from Louisiana.

post-3661-0-52918900-1525580770_thumb.jpeg

Thanks

Nick

curbdiggercarl

The album I have contains photos of....

Lt. L. J. Madden,

E. W. B. Froidos (?)

"Bull"

Lt. H. B. Trotter

"Little Shorty"

Captain Gamble

One group shot with "Trot", "Lefty", and "Chick"

Hopes this helps someone.

• 4 years later...
On 5/6/2018 at 12:28 AM, camonick said:

I would be interested to see any photos and/or rosters also. My great grandfather was with the 114th and sailed for France on August 22, 1918 after training at Camp Beauregard. His name was John B. Casteix. Heres the last page of the passenger list and he is entry 103 and was from Louisiana.

Thanks

Nick

Hello, 1st post here as am also looking for information on the 114th. 

My grandfather was Hollis Victor Alford and he was also on the Wilhelmia. Any information from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Regards to all,

[email protected]

WILHELMIA MANIFEST.jpg

On 11/1/2022 at 11:53 AM, alfordvictor said:

Hello, 1st post here as am also looking for information on the 114th. 

My grandfather was Hollis Victor Alford and he was also on the Wilhelmia. Any information from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Regards to all,

[email protected]

WILHELMIA MANIFEST.jpg

Looks like he was a cook for Company B.

IMG_1931.jpg.d5a73363789626e26b409f1d33cda0a7.jpgIMG_1933.jpg.7cdb8665266645d8aa75decd757c45e6.jpg

12 hours ago, camonick said:

Looks like he was a cook for Company B.

IMG_1931.jpg.d5a73363789626e26b409f1d33cda0a7.jpgIMG_1933.jpg.7cdb8665266645d8aa75decd757c45e6.jpg

Thanks Camonick, appreciate the response and especially the scan of that book.  Very cool.

On 5/6/2018 at 12:28 AM, camonick said:

Thanks

Nick

Here is the Wilhelmina in 1919

USS_Wilhelmina_(ID-2168)_in_Boston_13_May_1919.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

I am new here - just joined. This thread has some fascinating information in it. I am trying to find information on a great-grandfather, "W.T. Liter" (William Thomas Liter) from Kentucky who was supposedly in the 114th Engineers. We know almost nothing about his service or his unit because he never talked about it. Apparently he was wounded or gassed? I sure would appreciate it if anyone here who has a copy of that pamphlet would be willing to look up what Company he was in and send me/post a photo of that page? Also if anyone has any ideas on where to look to find more information on the 114th and where it served or any photographs? Any and all help or advice is appreciated. My email is [email protected]

Thanks for your time! 

On 2/18/2023 at 8:35 PM, BC11 said:

Hello all,

I am new here - just joined. This thread has some fascinating information in it. I am trying to find information on a great-grandfather, "W.T. Liter" (William Thomas Liter) from Kentucky who was supposedly in the 114th Engineers. We know almost nothing about his service or his unit because he never talked about it. Apparently he was wounded or gassed? I sure would appreciate it if anyone here who has a copy of that pamphlet would be willing to look up what Company he was in and send me/post a photo of that page? Also if anyone has any ideas on where to look to find more information on the 114th and where it served or any photographs? Any and all help or advice is appreciated. My email is [email protected]

Thanks for your time! 

PM sent