WW2 U.S. leggings/gaiters

Guest Snakedriver

Guest Snakedriver

Hello everyone. This is my first post here. I was hoping someone could help me with a question I had about WW2 leggings. How does one determine what size they wear? I'm sure there's some way of knowing beyond trial and error, and I saw a few auctions on e-bay listing different sizes. I've never worn leggings before, but I'm working on putting together a WW2 U.S. Army uniform, and seems like Leggings are necessary. can anyone help me figure out what size I need? Thank you!!

I remember some time ago someone had a actual size chart somewhere, it has to do with the circumference of the calf. I will try to dig it up.

I can tell you that the average size is a 3R. 1R's and 2R's are pretty small and although you do see them from time to time 4R's and 5R's are obviously pretty big and harder to find.

Hope this helps. thumbsup.gif

Hello,

I agree with Dalbey.

I am proportionally built man and 2R is a little too small for me and 3R is a little too large. Willy-nilly I have to choose 3R if I want to wear typical US Army WWII wool trousers for instance. If I wear 3R I am able to do what can be seen at historic pics -- to insert into a legging a knife in the scabbard because there is a space for it.

Regards

Greg

Guest Snakedriver

thank you good sirs. A size chart would be helpful, but knowing that size 3 is the most common is also pretty helpful. I'll just find a pair of size 3s and be happy. Thanks!!

Perhaps real soldiers looked at this problem identically -- not what size is it but how does it fit. Below there is issuing the leggings at Fort Belvoir in 1942.

post-75-1199901861.jpg

Perhaps real soldiers looked at this problem identically -- not what size is it but how does it fit. Below there is issuing the leggings at Fort Belvoir in 1942.

Great pic Gregory, but man, look how tight they look.

I would hate to wear them that tight. pinch.gif

Guest Snakedriver

Thank you for all the responses, guys. I'm glad I came here. You are all very helpful! I ordered an unissued pair of 3R's today, and those'll probably be a little loose, but I think 2's mighta been a smige tight. Its growin' room. hahaha. Thanks again!!

craig_pickrall

If they are to loose you can cut off the top of some old boot socks and use them to make your calf bigger until you grow into them.