What makes this Marine Corps Civil War Campaign Medal so expensive?

kfields

This is on ebay and it went for $766.

I know that the Marine Corps NUMBERED examples are extremely rare and I assume pricey if you ever came across one. This one is unnumbered. The fact that it still appears to be an earlier strike, is that where the value lies? Did they not make many of those either?

Thanks!

Kim

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220834544410?ssPag...984.m1423.l2649

post-60-1314451792.jpg

post-60-1314451800.jpg

MilitaryWired
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I thought the high bidder(s) might have been confused about the envelope in the background that says #62, thinking that that was the medal number. Like you said though, the auction clearly states "unnumbered". I honestly cannot see where $766 came from.

This looks like an unnumbered 1930's US Mint contract, the original medals from 1905 used a split broach with an open catch.

Looks like someone does not know what they are buying.

Bill

FrankEaton01

Personally, I think someone got a bargain. As Bill pointed out, it's a medal that was officially produced by the US Mint in the 1930's or early 1940's, and ANY official strike of the USMC Civil War campaign is RARE. I don't have the exact numbers, but there were likely only a couple hundred medals at most produced under this contract. Considering that a numbered BB&B example could sell in the $8,000 - $12,000 range, in my opinion $766 for an official unnumbered version isn't out-of-line. I've seen an unnumbered 1920's BB&B strike sell for $1,200.

Personally, I think someone got a bargain. As Bill pointed out, it's a medal that was officially produced by the US Mint in the 1930's or early 1940's, and ANY official strike of the USMC Civil War campaign is RARE. I don't have the exact numbers, but there were likely only a couple hundred medals at most produced under this contract. Considering that a numbered BB&B example could sell in the $8,000 - $12,000 range, in my opinion $766 for an official unnumbered version isn't out-of-line. I've seen an unnumbered 1920's BB&B strike sell for $1,200.

Dave said what I was thinking, a 1930's Official Mint Strike of any medal - Low end 0s the Navy Reserve medal at about $60 to a Marine Yangtze, 2nd Nic, can go as high as $275.00, I have never seen a Mint produced marine Civil War, $800 may be a reach, but you don't see an Official strike too often of this medal.

Bill

For some reason USMC medals always command a premium I've speculated that much of the pricing is driven by USMC veterans who collect. You should see what some of the early EGA insignia go for.