5th Infantry Division uniform grouping

Mercenary25

Mercenary25

I just got this grouping from the craig's list. Probably my first best purchase off the craig's list! The guy who sold them to me got them from a veteran. He said that the guy was drafted. One of story was his unit was in helicopter when it got shot down, then on ground they were fighting and everyone got shot except for this guy. I don't know if the story is entirely accurate.

The guy's name is Zmetra. Can anyone help me with researching this guy? I'm sure it would be fairly easy because 5th Infantry Division sent only one brigade to Vietnam from 1968-1971.

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

More photos coming soon!

Mercenary25

Here is a footage about 5th ID in Vietnam.

Matching Green Dominated ERDL set. (Since he was issued ERDL set, assuming he was in the LRRP detachment?)

010.jpg

Another patched jungle jacket but no SSI. Few jungle pants as well.

011.jpg

012.jpg

OG-107s.

014.jpg

015.jpg

Lastly.

013.jpg

VERY nice find! I have been hesitant to use craigslist, but looks like I may have to rethink my stance. :think:

Craigslist is a fairly good resource. I've seen some excellent helmets for sale and some in the who do you think you're kidding category. Lots of current uniform and equipment in this area,(near Ft. Lewis). Weird stuff that you hardly ever see, and prices from here to infinity. The thing is you have to be right on top of it, unlike E-pay it's first come first serve. But if you have the time to cruise , it can be worth it.

Craigslist is a fairly good resource. I've seen some excellent helmets for sale and some in the who do you think you're kidding category. Lots of current uniform and equipment in this area,(near Ft. Lewis). Weird stuff that you hardly ever see, and prices from here to infinity. The thing is you have to be right on top of it, unlike E-pay it's first come first serve. But if you have the time to cruise , it can be worth it. oops ddouble post

Those are some great uniforms. The 5th saw a lot of heavy fighting up near the DMZ around Khe Sahn and Don Ha against hardcore North Vietamese regulars and took part in the invasion of Laos. But they never seemed to get a whole lot of publicity.

Depending on when your guy served, the ERDL uniform would not necessarily indicate LRRP service. By around 1970 and 1971, it was fairly common for them to be issued to regular infantry troops.

• 1 year later...
rice paddy daddy

Thanks guys!

Bummer, I tried this site but no luck.

I was in the 1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mech) 1969-1970.

I also belong to the Society of the Fifth Division.

I know this thread is almost two years old, if you haven't found your answers for this particular soldier go to our website http://www.societyofthefifthdivision.com/

On the left side of our main page will be a column of tabs. You can click on Editor and send a letter with your questions and ask that it be published in the quarterly newsletter.

You can also click on the Historian tab and ask him if he has a listing for this soldier as well.

There is also a tab marked Membership, but I did not see your soldier's name listed, last updated December 2012.

As far as the cammo's, regular issue was the OD green jungle fatigues. We did have Co P / 75th Rangers attatched to us but I have no knowledge if they wore cammo's in the field or not.

To have jungle jackets with no insignia is not unusual, I personally only had one that was complete with US ARMY tape, name tape, Red Diamond shoulder patch. If worn, rank was little subdued pins worn on the collar.

The khaki's were strictly stateside, we didn't have those or Class A Greens. just jungle fatigues.

I hope this helps, good luck.