REAL 29th RANGERS scroll

tredhed2

This one looked real to me, and am sure the buyer hopes it is, too. Am sure #2 bidder is fuming at getting beat out, even with HIS bid. This may be considered the Holy Grail for RANGER collectors.

PLEASE save this to your files, as there are lots of repros out there.

Ebay # 330247268964

post-622-1215118850.jpg

Captainofthe7th

All I'm getting with that number is epson ink cartridges....

That's a great tab, too bad there's no ETO jacket to go with it!

Rob

Great find which I've only come across for sale on eBay once before. I've never been able to afford the high bidding price for this tab but did pick up the below listed tab and patch last year which I was hoping might be a post war right shoulder combat patch. Has anyone ever come across this tab before. Below is the write up of the listing on ebay (Item # 6613237486) and a photo of Major Randolph Millholland wearing the British made tab:

Originally the Provisional Ranger Battalion, established at Tidworth Barracks, in southwestern England, in December of 1942. The initial cadre consisted of men from the 29th Infantry Division, and a number of 1st Ranger Bn personnel, who had been unable (for medical reasons) to accompany the Bn to North Africa. An infantry officer of the 29th Division (Major Randolph Millholland) was appointed CO, and additional men were selected from over five-hundred volunteers. The designation having been changed to 29th Ranger Bn, the unit (consisting of two companies and an Intelligence and Reconnaissance Platoon) moved north in February of 1943, to the commando school at Achnacarry (Scotland) and were attached to Lord Lovat's 4 Commando for training. Battalion personnel participated (with British commando units) in a number of raids against occupied Norway and France, and in the late summer of 1943 the entire battalion (now consisting of four companies) landed on Ile d'Ouessant (a small island off the coast of Brittany) and destroyed a German radar installation. The unit was deactivated in October of 1943, with some of the personnel going to the 1st and 2nd Ranger Bns, and the balance returned to the infantry companies of the 29th Division.

The small, US-made shoulder title commonly seen in collections was never worn during the active service life of the unit and is a postwar item. The battalion wore a large shoulder title, made in England, similar in size and construction to a British army shoulder title - see the photo of Major Millholland. The one offered here (with the original matching shoulder patch) is a very interesting variation, being fully embroidered, with a khaki border. The patches have been worn, but are in excellent condition.

post-1389-1215150257.jpg

post-1389-1215150267.jpg

That photo has been around, and it fully justifies why the wool tab will go for big $$$$, as it should. The font, size, everything matches. Yeah....jeal0001.gif

-Ski

Jon Gawne wrote an article in his GI Journal years ago about the 29th. He interviewed 29th Vets so this is pretty much from the horses mouth. In the article there was a section about the tabs. There were apparently only 2 variants. Main point in the difference is the the numbers. The first type the "2" and "9" are the same size. The one in the auction appears to be the 2nd type with a smaller "9". He pointed out that he couldn't confirm this type as a wartime original. I've seen 2 others in collections but they were the first type so I can't chime in here other than with an opinion. I think this is probably a good one.

As for the auction, I always get a little worried when the underbidder has a 0 (zero) feedback rating.

The full emb tab is totally bogus. It should be noted that there are at least 3 different wool/felt fakes as well.

Bill

Great find which I've only come across for sale on eBay once before. I've never been able to afford the high bidding price for this tab but did pick up the below listed tab and patch last year which I was hoping might be a post war right shoulder combat patch. Has anyone ever come across this tab before. Below is the write up of the listing on ebay (Item # 6613237486) and a photo of Major Randolph Millholland wearing the British made tab:

Originally the Provisional Ranger Battalion, established at Tidworth Barracks, in southwestern England, in December of 1942. The initial cadre consisted of men from the 29th Infantry Division, and a number of 1st Ranger Bn personnel, who had been unable (for medical reasons) to accompany the Bn to North Africa. An infantry officer of the 29th Division (Major Randolph Millholland) was appointed CO, and additional men were selected from over five-hundred volunteers. The designation having been changed to 29th Ranger Bn, the unit (consisting of two companies and an Intelligence and Reconnaissance Platoon) moved north in February of 1943, to the commando school at Achnacarry (Scotland) and were attached to Lord Lovat's 4 Commando for training. Battalion personnel participated (with British commando units) in a number of raids against occupied Norway and France, and in the late summer of 1943 the entire battalion (now consisting of four companies) landed on Ile d'Ouessant (a small island off the coast of Brittany) and destroyed a German radar installation. The unit was deactivated in October of 1943, with some of the personnel going to the 1st and 2nd Ranger Bns, and the balance returned to the infantry companies of the 29th Division.

The small, US-made shoulder title commonly seen in collections was never worn during the active service life of the unit and is a postwar item. The battalion wore a large shoulder title, made in England, similar in size and construction to a British army shoulder title - see the photo of Major Millholland. The one offered here (with the original matching shoulder patch) is a very interesting variation, being fully embroidered, with a khaki border. The patches have been worn, but are in excellent condition.

Or possibly, sewn to something, to look "worn" (and more believable.)

I had a feeling that the one I purchased was a copy but not being able to afford the real McCoy I was hoping. I've attached scans of some of the copies Bill K. spoke of as well as one that might be an original which sold on eBay some time ago.

post-1389-1215201586.jpg

post-1389-1215201595.jpg

post-1389-1215201602.jpg

post-1389-1215201626.jpg

post-1389-1215201635.jpg

• 1 year later...

Here's a yard long photo of "Captain" Millholland taken in Jul 1941 while commanding "G" Co 115th Inf. This photo was taken in Jul 1941 at Ft Meade.

Kration

post-107-1276774134.jpg

• 8 years later...

Never to late to join in I guess........I have only seen ONE 29th RANGER for sale and it was pretty well moth eaten. I am doing a 116th INF "Display " which will eventually cover the STONEWALL RCT from the 5th VA INF ( CSA ) to the modern NG deployed days. I would be interested in obtaining a REAL 29th RANGER Tab - Flash to maintain the integrity of the display. Iam up on the Fakes out there but still could be a mine field I suppose. Any offers?

everforward

Here is a real one, straight from the vets family....116th, KIA 6 June 1944. There were two tabs on a uniform, one tab was sewn at the apex of each shoulder.

post-8237-0-77605400-1530735383_thumb.jpeg