PFC Nancy Elizabeth Waggoner USMCWR

Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

My mother was proud of her wartime service in the Marine Corps 1943-1945. Not a lot of stuff left from those days other than some photographs and her discharge. A few years ago I bought an original recruiting poster and had it framed....she enjoyed that before dementia took over and she no longer could remember anything. But I was happy to know I gave her a couple years of pleasure having that poster on the wall of her apartment.

SEMPER FI

post-4-1167734340.jpg

post-4-1167734465.jpg

Greg Robinson
Mum always looks good in that photo Kabar.....give her my best as always buddy

Regards

Lloyd

THANKS, Lloyd.

I see admin made you a mod. :) You are definitely the BEST qualified to talk about reenacting.

Greg

Kbar,

There is a marked resemblance between your mom and the poster. I am curious as about ten years ago I was at an AAF bomb group reunion where I met the wife of one of the reunion-ites who advised she had been a BAM and said she had ended up being the model for a USMCWR poster. She sent one home to her parents but it never made it. I traced the poster down from her description and I THINK (10 years ago, remember) it was that one. Could your mom have been the lady I met?

I think it was the 490th BG.

Tom

Greg Robinson
Kbar,

There is a marked resemblance between your mom and the poster. I am curious as about ten years ago I was at an AAF bomb group reunion where I met the wife of one of the reunion-ites who advised she had been a BAM and said she had ended up being the model for a USMCWR poster. She sent one home to her parents but it never made it. I traced the poster down from her description and I THINK (10 years ago, remember) it was that one. Could your mom have been the lady I met?

I think it was the 490th BG.

Tom

It DOES look like her doesn't it? But it's not. I asked my mother about this when I gave her the poster and she told me one of the very first woman Marine's, an officer, was asked to pose for that portrait. My mother was a PFC. If you study the lady's uniform closely you can just barely make out the officer's insignia on the shoulders.

As far back as I can remember I heard the story of mother seeing that poster and being inspired to join up. So she quit the aircraft factory job she had making F4U Cosair fighter planes and joined the Corps. BE A MARINE....FREE A MARINE TO FIGHT.....This was their mission during the war and it was very successful.

Greg Robinson

My mother, after four years of dementia and now with a broken hip, is in failing health and I didn't think she could still remember her Marine Corps days. But I got a phone call today from my nephew who said his son, who's a military fanatic....epecially USMC.....like his great uncle :D started asking her about her Marine Corps days and she seemed to still retain those memories.

Semper Fi

Greg Robinson
Thats gotta be GOOD news aint it Bro !

Have you got any more pictures to share of mum in the service ?

Regards

Lloyd

Yeah...it was encouraging although it doesn't really change anything. As for more photos, my nephew found some in her personal stuff and scanned a few and emailed them to me. Unfortunately, I deleted most by accident but the original photos still exist. Mostly, what he found were old faded black and white photos of my mother wearing baggy coveralls which I assume is what she wore when servicing the aircraft on base. He also dug up colors photos she took at graduation day at Parris Island in 1967...of me.

• 2 weeks later...
General Apathy

Greg, Time moves on, people fade, memories linger, respect your parents, honor your parents, and love your parents.

A lovely Lady, a tear suppressed........... ( Lewis )

Greg Robinson
Greg,

Your Mom sounds like a very special lady and we send her our best. Where did she grow up?

GB

She was born in New York City but her parents divorced when she was young and she moved around a lot. Her fondest memories are of living in the UK and France as a girl. In fact, I still wish I could honor a stated wish of her spoken years ago that when she passed on she wanted to be cremated and her ashes scattered over London from the air. She loved London. Well. her days are getting shorter and the cremation is already prearranged but I don't know that the authorities in England would allow such a thing. And my health problems probably prohibit that sort of travel......but it really was a lovely idea.

Greg

Greg Robinson
Greg...let us guys help...and film it for ya ?

Regards

Lloyd

Just a thought buddy

Hey LLoyd

I don't follow your meaning. Film it?

Greg

Greg Robinson
Greg, Time moves on, people fade, memories linger, respect your parents, honor your parents, and love your parents.

A lovely Lady, a tear suppressed........... ( Lewis )

Thank you for your kind thoughts. She's had a good life but she's now 83 and has made it clear during her increasingly short lucid moments that she no longer wishes to live. I have total respect and empathy for her wishes and will honor them.

Greg