Screw Post AAF DUIs Rank & Tags

DannyBMW

I picked these up a few weeks a go in an antique mall in Pine Mountain Ga. The three DUIs are identical and deeply relief cast. I can't find any reference to the unit they identified. The Tags have a bronzeish hue to them. The US and the Majors rank are all marked ACID TEST on the back. The clutches have no dimples but are smooth & flat. I bought it all as a set. Are these pieces WW2 or Korean war AAF items?

post-8802-1272416368.jpg

post-8802-1272416437.jpg

The DI's are for the 9th Engineer Command. They appear to be German-made. Are they painted rather than enamel? It's all WW2 era (the DI's are from the occupation period.)

Kurt

The DI's are for the 9th Engineer Command. They appear to be German-made. Are they painted rather than enamel? It's all WW2 era (the DI's are from the occupation period.)

Kurt

Kurt,

They are painted and not enameled. Any idea who made the pieces marked ACID TEST?

A number of makers used the "Acid Test" hallmark. It refers to a manufacturing method. I seem to recall a prior thread explaining it much better, but I couldn't find it just now.

Kurt