Ideas for display booth!

Gear Fanatic

Gear Fanatic

Hello everyone! I was curious if anybody had an idea for any interactive or interesting ways to display items, I will be doing my first ever display at an upcoming airshow and I am planning on doing something in the gear worn in Normandy, personal items, gear uniforms etc.

I have never done this before so If anybody has any insight that would be great! Thanks 

Cobra 6 Actual

So, for most of us that have done displays before the problem is winnowing down the items to display so that a) the display won't be too cluttered, b) it won't overwhelm non-collectors/non-historians, and c) yet it will still be interesting and informative enough to draw people's attention. And, you’ll need to have some “fact cards” for most of your items: just because we know what jump wings, a Purple Heart, or a CIB are doesn’t mean our audience will. 

Another -- and totally different -- way to approach this display is to ask yourself what you want viewers to come away with. For example, do you want them to understand the massive number of KIA's on both sides or the historical significance of D-Day? Or are you going to include unit actions as they left those dangerous shores and cliffs behind and started their long slog to Germany?

How will you tell that story and what artifacts (or gear) will help them to understand it? What's your hook going to be? You need a hook ... something to get their attention initially so that they will stop to look at what you've laid out for them. Perhaps there is some local ‘angle’ you can cover. For example, gear and letters from a local who served at Normandy. Or say, something a local unit did on D-Day.

I hate to bring this up, but give some thought to how you will display your items AND at the same time keep them from “growing legs” and disappearing. Unfortunately, that has happened.

OK, just some 'food for thought.' I'm sure other Forum members will weigh in with ideas, too.

Cobra 6 Actual

I also found this thread has some good ideas about displaying uniforms and the associated fact sheets with each one. Might give you some further ideas: 

Gear Fanatic

Thanks! I will definitely take into consideration!

Gear Fanatic

What I am planning on doing is 1 maniquin with HBT with M1 garand kit (torso only) and then the alternative m1 carbine kit with airsoft full metal replica (not old enough to own a firearm) and then the next part will be personal gear, canteens, magazines, pictures, magazines etc. and the last section will be captures, with pictures and placards in between? Thoughts are welcomed and please critique!

lmrobil

Please share pictures of what you come up with.  I'm sure you will receive constructive feedback and we will be interested to see it.  Good luck!

Lance 

Gear Fanatic

Thanks, I will get it all together and send some pics, some things I am borrowing from a friend but nothing to big thanks for the feedback so far.

srossio

Couple things I have picked up over the years include:
No matter how many signs you put up...there will be people who will still want to touch the items (it seems to be their way of connecting with history).
This is not a bad thing but I would avoid putting anything "within reach" that you consider special, fragile, etc.
(I will note that helmets seem to always draw attention so I pack a "junk" helmet for people to hold/try on.  It is not special so if it gets dropped or damaged I am not going to be upset!)

I agree with Cobra6 that you need to be willing to limit what you put out.  I call it "avoiding the flea market look."  It's O.K. to take extra stuff, just be willing to leave things off the table. 

I also agree on having signs...just make sure that they look professional.  Nothing can destroy a wonderful display then poorly made signs.  All I use is a simple Microsoft Word program, heavier gauge paper and when cutting my signs I use a cheap paper-cutter I picked up at my local office supply store to ensure straight edges.

One thing that drives me crazy when looking at displays is dust/dirt/fingerprints.  I am not talking about dirt that may be part of the display but dirty artifacts.  Heavy layers of dust or display cases with fingerprints, etc.  I will usually pack a lint roller, glass cleaner, paper towel and dusting towel and then once the display is up...I will go over it making sure it looks clean.

Probably the most important thing is...have fun and don't be afraid to interact with the public!

Gear Fanatic

I have a nice mint helmet but I am also bringing a beat up 1945 produced one with a replica liner I am bringing basic stuff so nothing super special. Thanks for the advice!

Rakkasan187

Also keep a running list of the items you have on the table for display..  Sadly enough if you have too much on the table then it may not be missed until you pack things up....There are those who go to events that have sticky fingers and walk away with items...

There are those who would try to distract you in order for someone else to take something off your table, so you have to grow eyes on the back of your head as well...

Have fun with it and take pictures for us

Leigh 

Gear Fanatic

Man I was kinda disregarding the advice, Oh people are “gonna take stuff” but I am started not to get worried lol, as long as they don’t steal my British made first aid pouch everything will be just fine!😁

Gear Fanatic

I’m super excited for first event thanks for all the comments and advice!

• 2 weeks later...

When we would do displays with smaller items, we would run clear fishing line through smaller things as a safety precaution.

One time a guy picked a German Mp40 (he actually had to move the sign that was on it that said "Do not Touch") and of course then everything tied to it came long for the ride, but it notified us that something was happening. keep any edged weapons behind glass or in a case. If you are doing an outdoor display (or even in a tent) Have a plan for inclement weather as even small gusts of wind can quickly wreak havoc on a display.  As mentioned take pics as soon as you get it set up.