USN/USMC Wing Inventory Serial Manufacturer Numbers

Aussie-Wings

Aussie-Wings

Hi,

I have two wings (see below) with numbers on the back. I am curious as to what these numbers are think.gif? They are different wings (Aircrew & Aviator), different makers (H-H & Gemsco). Also I haven't seen the USMC SER. mark before either. Any help is always appreciated.

Cheers,

AW.

post-4136-1236396515.jpg

in the EGA field, it is generally accepted that SER marks date to the Korean War period. However, we have seen marksmanship badges that are, at earliest, 1956 that also have SER marks. My belief is that the markings were in use from around Korean War timeframe until shortly after 1956...only a year or two

Brig, I would bet a dollar that the first photo is the back of an Aircrew wing, which was authorized in 1958.

A-W, can you show a photo of the front?

in the EGA field, it is generally accepted that SER marks date to the Korean War period. However, we have seen marksmanship badges that are, at earliest, 1956 that also have SER marks. My belief is that the markings were in use from around Korean War timeframe until shortly after 1956...only a year or two

I have seen the 307 mark on pilot wings that were used through the 1960s into the early 1970s.

Mark

Aussie-Wings
Brig, I would bet a dollar that the first photo is the back of an Aircrew wing, which was authorized in 1958.

A-W, can you show a photo of the front?

DMD,

Photo as requested. It is an Aircrew Wing (post 1958), as opposed to the earlier NAO Wing.

Cheers,

AW.

post-4136-1236447249.jpg

They are manufacturer numbers that were assigned to various companies just like the Institute of Heraldry numbers. I believe they were assigned by the USMC Quartermaster.

Aussie-Wings
They are manufacturer numbers that were assigned to various companies just like the Institute of Heraldry numbers. I believe they were assigned by the USMC Quartermaster.

Thanks for that. So it's safe to say that any wing with these numbers are USMC wings?

AW.

I am not so sure about that - I have HH made wings and insignia with different 3 digit SER numbers. So unless the same company was assigned different codes over the years this wouldn't necessarily be true.

The law changed in 1957 (10 USC 4594) setting up the IOH for Army and Air Force and items prior to that date might have numbers and are not limited to USMC but also include Navy and Coast Guard. I am still digging.

The law changed in 1957 (10 USC 4594) setting up the IOH for Army and Air Force and items prior to that date might have numbers and are not limited to USMC but also include Navy and Coast Guard. I am still digging.

All military insignia are approved as follows: United States Army and United States Air Force through the Institute of Heraldry, the United States Navy through Natick Testing Laboratories, and the United States Marine Corps through the USMC Logistics Agency.

The numbers on the back of wings were assigned by the USMC Logistics Agency.