US Navy Gator Navy jumpers with insignia

tthen

Found these jumpers on ebay and waited until they closed. The first one has the unauthorized Amphibious mark on the lower left sleeve with the later shoulder patch that was approved 15 June 1944. It was advertised as an amphibious tractor driver jumper, hmmm? The next one was a jumper that had the Amphibious alligator patch on the left shoulder. The first one I've ever seen on a jumper. Would love to hear any comments.

amphib1.jpg

amphib2.jpg

amphib3.jpg

gator1.jpg

gator2.jpg

10 hours ago, tthen said:

Found these jumpers on ebay and waited until they closed. The first one has the unauthorized Amphibious mark on the lower left sleeve with the later shoulder patch that was approved 15 June 1944. It was advertised as an amphibious tractor driver jumper, hmmm? The next one was a jumper that had the Amphibious alligator patch on the left shoulder. The first one I've ever seen on a jumper. Would love to hear any comments.

amphib1.jpg

amphib2.jpg

amphib3.jpg

gator1.jpg

gator2.jpg

Love “Gators”

11 hours ago, tthen said:

amphib1.jpg

amphib2.jpg

amphib3.jpg

gator1.jpg

gator2.jpg

I might question the top jumper a bit. Is that a star in the American Campaign ribbon?  That’s a lot of stars in the PTO ribbon and a bit of over lap time in patches, for a Seaman Second Class. Just an observation. Also, the “Tombstone” SSI is very neatly and correctly sewn on, while the Amphib Mark is very loose, sloppy and, if I’m not mistaken, on the wrong sleeve. Photos show it being worn on the right sleeve.   I would be suspicious of the ribbons and lower Cuff mark. Just my thoughts. 

1 hour ago, sigsaye said:

I might question the top jumper a bit. Is that a star in the American Campaign ribbon?  That’s a lot of stars in the PTO ribbon and a bit of over lap time in patches, for a Seaman Second Class. Just an observation. Also, the “Tombstone” SSI is very neatly and correctly sewn on, while the Amphib Mark is very loose, sloppy and, if I’m not mistaken, on the wrong sleeve. Photos show it being worn on the right sleeve.   I would be suspicious of the ribbons and lower Cuff mark. Just my thoughts. 

Thanks for your comments Steve, those were my thoughts also.

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I love seeing the jumpers with the Gator Shoulder Patch and the Gator cuff patches on them. My father, Lloyd Emerson Clarke, designed the Gator patches. He was one of the first sailors assigned to the Amphibious Force at Little Creek, in Virginia. He was sent to Panama City Florida to train on the amphibious vehicles as they landed on the beaches. He designed the Gator patches with the tanks rolling out of the alligator's mouth. They were unofficial but used until the military made the change to only using official insignia.

If you ever want to sell the jumpers with my father's patches, please let me know. Not sure I can afford them but would love to keep them in my family.

Thanks

Imports - 1 of 1.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
TheBoneGnome
On 1/25/2022 at 8:51 AM, sigsaye said:

I am the current caretaker of these two uniforms, bought them off of ebay around when this thread started. 

Not that it means they are 100%, but neither the patches nor the thread glow under a blacklight. I will attach a better pic of the rating below. 

Also, I believe that being an unauthorized patch, it may have been placed on whichever sleeve. Or by the same reasoning you see navy jumpers with the SSI or rates on both left and right sleeves. I will also post a picture of a Sailor with the amphibious alligator on his left sleeve.

17116755052835516795799646791346.jpg

TheBoneGnome

Here is an image from my collection of it being worn on the Left sleeve. 

Photo_1711605801764.jpg

sigsaye
12 hours ago, TheBoneGnome said:

I am the current caretaker of these two uniforms, bought them off of ebay around when this thread started. 

Not that it means they are 100%, but neither the patches nor the thread glow under a blacklight. I will attach a better pic of the rating below. 

Also, I believe that being an unauthorized patch, it may have been placed on whichever sleeve. Or by the same reasoning you see navy jumpers with the SSI or rates on both left and right sleeves. I will also post a picture of a Sailor with the amphibious alligator on his left sleeve.

17116755052835516795799646791346.jpg

While it’s obvious that they were worn on either sleeve, my reasoning that the minority went on the right is because in the left, they are in the position where the Hashmarks go. As for SSI and rating badges, they had specific locations to be placed.