Signal, Ground, Green Star Cluster M20

tthen

I found one of these a while back and wondered how it was launched. Someone suggested it was launched from a rifle, but there is no way it would fit on the spicket, of an M7 launcher, besides the primer is on the nose. I suspect you all know but this is what I found: 

Projector, Signal, Ground, M3 and M4 155. Ground Signal Projectors M3 and M4, resemble small mortars in that they consist of open-end tubes, with closing caps at the opposite ends that hold a firing pin which ignites the primer of the ground signal when the mortar is struck against the ground. The signal is inverted and loaded into the muzzle of the projector. Leaving the projector tail first, the signal reverses itself after attaining about 100 feet altitude. It then proceeds nose first until it reaches an altitude of 600 feet, where the expelling charge ejects and ignites the contents of the signal body.

M4_Signal_projector_flares.jpg

M4 5.jpg

M4 7.jpg

M4 1.jpg

M4 2.jpg

Indirectly it was fired from a rifle, a distant cousin sort of speak. The predecessor to the signals you have posted above were the M5, 6 and 7. White Star, Red Star and Red Chain. Designed to be fired by the M1 Projector which could connect to a service rifle or attached to a support pole, These signals did not have the fins. Then inline with a new superseding projector, Types M3 and M4 Ground, the corresponding signals were modified with the fins and redesignated M17 thru M22 as seen above. Then the Army and Cavalry Boards dropped the whole concept in short and required these signals to be fired by the service rifle via the grenade launcher hence the M20A1 thru M22A1, c.1943.  So from the 1920's to 1943 they circled back to the original concept but in streamlined form. So there is some confused truth to what was relayed to you, just not these exact models of flares.

The projector you have pictured is the M4 but its authenticity is in question. The first red flag and concern is that it is completely sterile of markings, which is out of line from other ordnance materials that were clearly marked with nomenclature, additionally No inspection stamps such as the ordnance bomb and the like. It is suspected someone machined this example in the modern era, could be totally wrong but the above mentioned facts make me question it. Why? because they are almost non-existent for some reason and I think there is only one known real one in a museum, I suspect others exist somewhere. Many ordnance collectors have the parachute flares but no projectors and since they were standard for many vehicles, those owners want one too to complete their accessories. Both the M3 and M4 were standard for a time, loathed by infantry and cavalry but suitable for vehicles. Collectively there were just over 22,500 M3s and M4s made. That is a fairly low number but enough that they should be floating around but MIA. If someone were to locate one (M3 or M4), they would be the cool kid on the block!!

The M4 above I would call a quality prop, something that illustrates how these signals were fired. 

Thank you Dustin for the clarification, the above equipment is not mine but what got me wondering was the M20 I did find and why it seem backwards. It's crystal clear now. I'll keep my eyes out for an M3 or M4 launcher LOL 😆

Thanks again

You'll find the ground projectors right next to the blue deck jacket you want, and check the pockets for a Pederson device.

For a little more background and for visual context, the M1 projector was very much like the Japanese knee mortar in appearance where it had a lever to to engage the firing pin. The rifle was merely a supporting pole and not like how a typical rifle grenade functions. The M3 and M4 ground projectors retained the overall basic appearance but adapted to slam fire, just pop the back on the ground or other hard surface. 

https://wwiisurvivalequipment.cuom/pyro-flares

I get into a little more of pyrotechnics here relevant to this launcher. Also note the visual differences of the M4 pictured and from that posted above.

Hey Dustin, if I find a nice blue deck jacket and there is a ground projector  and a Peterson device in the pocket there yours!! Take care and thanks for the information😀