Currahee by Donald R. Burgett

BryanJ

I cannot count the number of WWII books that I’ve read, but some where over the last 40 years plus, I’ve never run across the books written by Donald R. Burgett about his service with the 506th PIR, 101st ANB Div.  I’ve read 3 of the 4 books he wrote about his time in the 101st, Currahee, Seven Roads to Hell, and his last book from the Holland campaign to the end of the war.  These had to be the books on which Stephen Ambrose used as the bases for Band of Brothers.  Bottom line, these are the best books I’ve ever read about the European Theatre.  How anyone in the 101st in an infantry unit, could have started in Normandy and made it to the end of the war, is beyond me.  His experiences during the Battle of the Bulge is just hard to comprehend.  These are must reads!

• 1 month later...

Glad you enjoyed the books, but unfortunately Mr. Burgett embellished quite a bit.  They might be a good read, but if you really want to know what it was like, I would recommend all of George Koskimaki's books instead.  His books are filled with first-hand accounts from many 101st veterans.