British Ribbons on U.S Bars.

A/517

Hi All, 

I sincerely apologise if this has been covered before, I have had a search and can't find anything specific but please feel free to smack me up the back of the head if I've missed it.

I'm looking to replicate the ribbon bar worn by Don Blakeslee when he held the rank of Captain so that I can replicate his Officers tunic. On that bar he wears the British DFC ribbon, but can anyone comment as to whether or not this would be US made so that it would fit the bar, or do British made ribbons fit on a US bar?

Regards, 

Adam

British ribbons are typically made by folding a piece of ribbon over backing material and then stitching the ribbon to keep it in place. The ribbon bar is then typically sewn to the tunic on British uniforms.

Most of the US uniforms that i have seen with a British DFC have have been theater made bars with the US ribbons sewn to the bar and the British ribbon done in the same manner. That being said, I have encountered Wolf Browne ribbons for the British DFC which were made in the same madder as the US ribbon and simply slid into place. I have also seen post-WWII US made ribbons with the brass frames made for the British DFC, French and Belgian CdG, etc.

If you are doing a WWII vintage homage, I would suggest sewing the ribbons. One little note- post-WWII British DFC ribbon does not sew up as nice as wartime ribbon. Vintage DFC ribbon is also more narrow than WWII US ribbons.

Allan