Getting Shellac Off Knife

thorin6

Picked up this Western L71/Seabee recently, sheath isn't original but very nice. Problem is the knife is completely covered in shellac. Looking for any hints to remove the shellac. I am most likely going to clean the blade off, but leave the handle alone, as I don't want to do more harm than good with stripping the shellac off and damaging the leather. Any help is appreciated.

post-11546-0-25380800-1570831235_thumb.jpg

Bill- Not sure if this helps much. I had a couple of M3s a few years back that had been covered in shellac. I did not try to take it off the leather handles, figured they were preserved. But, the shellac on the blades, pommels, and guards was a little dry, and flakey. What I did was literally, scraped the shellac of with my finger nails.and a piece of wood(not abrasive to the metal).. It worked for me just fine. I was not about to use paint remover or anything else that could hurt the knives. SKIP

If it is shellac alcohols will dissolve it. Ethanol, methanol, and isopropyl will all work. If it's some kind of varnish than that's where you will have to play with different solvents. Just remember all of these will end up degreasing the metal so wipe it down with your favorite oil.

Tried the isopropyl alcohol because that seemed the easiest route. Sorry to say it did nothing to the finish, which means (I guess) it's some kind of varnish. I have Mini-wax Antique Finish remover which I've used on stocks, so I think I'll try that on the blade. Agree with Skip not to mess with the finish on the leather. Also I have a small bottle of Goof-off, so may try that next.

Most anything you use to get the finish off would be very hard on something like leather. I've got a few pieces that seem to have a varnish like finish added to the leather at one time and also have chosen to leave them be, at least for now.

If I remember correctly the min-wax finish is a modified varnish added to linseed oil. The remover has a good chance of working on a variety of varnishes. Citristrip is pretty effective on things from paint to poly varnishes, and even epoxy finishes.

Use the acetone on the metal.Its hotter than rubbing alcohol and will dissolve most paint and finishes.Laquer thinner may work as well and both are quick to dry and low residue