Junkyard find

usoverlord

Here is an example of projo markings. 155G, not 155H, puzzling to most. No tanks fired the 155, it was bag loaded and has no case. It is a 1942 dated 155mm HE for the Long Tom cannon. The projo for your case would be lettered the same but have a "105H" marking.attachicon.gif image.jpeg

Are these dated on the brass drive bands?.....If not, just curious how one would date one of these?....I assume fuse is screwed in?.....Reason is, I came across a large projectile that I am unable to 100% identify....No markings on the drive band and the opening for the fuse in unthreaded....Also missing fuse....I've assumed it's an M-107, 155mm round....Bodes

Are these dated on the brass drive bands?.....If not, just curious how one would date one of these?....I assume fuse is screwed in?.....Reason is, I came across a large projectile that I am unable to 100% identify....No markings on the drive band and the opening for the fuse in unthreaded....Also missing fuse....I've assumed it's an M-107, 155mm round....Bodes

Some WW2 shell types were stamped on the copper driving band but most are stamped 1/2 to 1 inch just above the driving band, they will have shell lot number, "M" number, manufacturers code and date. Paint can fill it in and be difficult to see or pitting or bondo was used in restoring it. Few have the bottom base end stamped , but unusual as it would not show info when assembled into the case. No fuze threads? Manufacture reject? Maybe missing a nose cap if it has a base fuze? I would need pics and measurements to ID it. Remember, the inked lettering on the projo was only done at the time when the projectile was filled with explosive or chemicals and assembled. That is why original ink marked Ordnance brings a premium. Many collectors bondo, repaint and stencil projectiles, but originally they were not painted lettering, original ones are inked.

Some WW2 shell types were stamped on the copper driving band but most are stamped 1/2 to 1 inch just above the driving band, they will have shell lot number, "M" number, manufacturers code and date. Paint can fill it in and be difficult to see or pitting or bondo was used in restoring it. Few have the bottom base end stamped , but unusual as it would not show info when assembled into the case. No fuze threads? Manufacture reject? Maybe missing a nose cap if it has a base fuze? I would need pics and measurements to ID it. Remember, the inked lettering on the projo was only done at the time when the projectile was filled with explosive or chemicals and assembled. That is why original ink marked Ordnance brings a premium. Many collectors bondo, repaint and stencil projectiles, but originally they were not painted lettering, original ones are inked.

No base fuse.....I was thinking reject projectile as well.....It was located at a local junque shop, so if I'm any where nearby, I will look again for any manufacturing information on it.....Condition is unpainted, and not sure it ever was.....Again, perhaps another indication of it being a rejected round.....Thanks for the information, Bodes

Went back today to see the projectile again.....It's pretty much the way I remembered it....Hole for fuse in the tip is unthreaded and no cavity for a base one (fuse).....After close inspection, I couldn't see any markings on the drive band or above it....If there was anything on the steel portion, the pitting made it hard to see....Therefore, I personally would not be able to date the round....Bodes

Well I've been inspired by the feedback here and fortunately for me, I took a business card from the salvage yard owner and spoke with him this AM. Apparently, he originally got the casing from a longtime friend who died about 3 or 4 yrs ago. He can't say for certain if he was the original owner or not, or if he was a WW2 vet. He was 87 when he passed away. And was army vet who served for 20 +/- years up through the Korean war. His name was Ronald Stone and is buried in Sierra Vista Arizona. He would have been 17 or 18 in 1944. Maybe that's the end of the story but it certainly adds a little.

Ronald E Stone was 81 when he passed in 2016, veteran of Korea & Vietnam.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/167853867/ronald-e_-stone

BIRTH 26 Sep 1934 DEATH 22 Jul 2016 (aged 81) BURIAL Sierra Vista, Cochise County, Arizona, USA

The only other hit on FindAGrave for a Ronald Stone in AZ was one year old when he died in 1962.

So that was probably the guy your junkyard buddy got it from, and Ronald probably acquired it from the WW2 tank crewman.

usoverlord

Story, Thank you so much for this info and for your time and research. Very much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
usoverlord

I've located what I think is close to the correct projectile. The year is off by one, but if it is the correct type I'll spring for it.

Oldguns.net item #7328

105 mm howitzer H E round

Thoughts please. Thanks.

Linedoggie

M14 casings are from a 105 howitzer. It is not a tank shell. In the ordnance world, a 105H is howitzer ( artillery ) and a 105G is a gun ( tank). The only mounted 105 howitzer I know of during WW2 was the M7 Priest, a self propelled ( tracked) artillery vehicle. Rare vehicles.

A Sherman based 105 version was produced

M4(105)- 800 Produced and M4A3(105)841 Produced were made by Chrysler starting in February 1944 through till June 1945. Both had a 105mm howitzer and were assigned to tank co HQ platoons for support use

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/manufacturer/m4_105mm/m4_105mm.html

http://www.theshermantank.com/

• 2 weeks later...