Electrical connector question

Papas-Toybox

Papas-Toybox

OK. this is for you guys that may have been lucky, or unlucky enough to set these up in your tent. Other than di-electric grease, is there anything that I can use to get these connectors to go together all the way? I've tried spit, vaseline, and di-electric grease. No matter what I do they will not join far enough that they are secure. I've checked the depth of all of the female ends and it are deeper than the male ends are long so that is not the problem. Could brass connector corrosion, even though they look ok be the cause?

I'm out of ideas.

post-164320-0-01586900-1533603147_thumb.jpgThanks.

• 4 months later...

Something is keeping them from mating together, either the brass or rubber pieces. I would take a drill bit as close to the brass male pin diameter as possible and try to insert the blunt end of the bit into the female brass socket. Do both sockets and if the bit pushes in all the way on both then you have eliminated the brass parts as the problem in the connection. If the drill bit does not fit well in a socket then use some abrasive paper to remove any corrosion that may be inside the socket. The rubber parts may have become deformed, expanded, shrunk or malformed over time. I have seen previously pliable rubber parts turn hard, stiff after almost 80 years of age. Then the only recourse I see is to identify where the rubber obstruction is and carefully whittle away at it with an exacto hobby knife. Or a dremel moto tool with a milling bit. Good luck.

Bob

If the rubber is at fault here, you could immerse the the connectors into water hot enough to soften the rubber but not melt it. Then press connectors together and let cool. Maybe apply some Vaseline to parts first so they will release again when cool. I like this idea better because you are not removing material from the parts, just remolding them a bit.