Officer Vandegrift Jacket, Silver Star on Iwo Jima!

ParanormalTrooper

ParanormalTrooper

Heres a great uniform I have to share with you today! Got this off eBay, and I saw 2nd Lt William C Odonnell was with Hq Co 28th Marines 5th MarDiv on the muster rolls, but didnt find his obituary until a few days after I got the uniform in hand. I was suprised to see he received the Silver Star Medal for actions on Iwo Jima written in it! I added the period 1/2 Silver Star Ribbon, but the EGAs, patch, and insignia are all original to the uniform. The EGAs are solid sterling H&H marked screw backs.

2nd Lt ODonells Citation:

For conspicuous gallentry and intrepididy while attached to Headquarters and Service Company, Twenty-Eighth Marines, Fith Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands, on 15 March 1945.

Placed in command of a platoon of a provisional company and assaigned to fill a dangerous gap in the regimental lines, Second Lieutenant ODonnell located the position during darkness, established contact with the adjacent battalion, and deployed his platoon on the rough terrain under intense enemy rifle [and] machine gun fire. When his positions were immediately attacked by hostile forces and subjected to fierce grenade and rifle fire, he moved from place to place leading his unit in repelling the violent attacks and holding the important position. His indomitable fighting spirit, courageous leadership, and unwavering devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest traditions of United States Naval Service

post-162053-0-59383900-1529706914_thumb.jpeg