Vietnam Era Berets From One Soldiers Estate

Pah5153

This belonged to one person who was a lifer and served 30 years in the Army. The family did not give the Auctioneer his name but did say he served 30 years and included several tours in Vietnam. I am attempting to see if I can track down family for his info. The lot includes 3 of his green berets. One appears to have been worn a lot and the flash was removed probably to put on its replacement. One is an in country Vietnam made. The other is a 1968 beret. In addition I got 2 black berets one of which you can see the outline of the removed flash. The tiger stripe cowboy appears to be in country also, however the patch was put on a lot later. Finally there is a dark blue 1976 dated beret. Unfortunately there were 3 other patched black berets from his time prior to S/F but I already spent more than I wanted so I didn't get them.post-164192-0-47938500-1528910004.jpgpost-164192-0-09709000-1528909966.jpgpost-164192-0-49505900-1528910052.jpg

post-164192-0-69130000-1528910053.jpg

Agree on the Tiger Bush hat.

THinking much of it is post war worn.

The Beret with 57 looks to be foriegn beret with a flash added at some point.Flash looks like a Vietnamese made type

Tiger stripes are not my specialty, I have seen ones with that type of lining purported as original, but I'm not an expert. Having served in the army in early 80s and getting to know some S/F who served in Vietnam none of them seemed the type to buy post war items. Either way that hat was included with other military items i.e. MACV maps showing all the provinces, main municipalities, and corp responsibility areas so I had figured I had zero cost in that perticul item.

Doyle yes the one with 57 would be foreign made. All private purchase berets bought in Vietnam would have been sized that way and would have a Vietnamese made flash attached. There is no doubt this gentleman was S/F in Vietnam, there were all kinds of support items including privately taken combat photos of S/F personnel. Since I do not have an unlimited pocket book I could not buy everything.

Doyle yes the one with 57 would be foreign made. All private purchase berets bought in Vietnam would have been sized that way and would have a Vietnamese made flash attached. There is no doubt this gentleman was S/F in Vietnam, there were all kinds of support items including privately taken combat photos of S/F personnel. Since I do not have an unlimited pocket book I could not buy everything.

I know there were and are Vietnamese berets that were in country sourced.I own several even camo ones.This one doesn't have the typical paper or foil lables or size tags as seen in the Viet made ones.The color seems a little to light for typical SF beret but I realize there are anomalies in any situation.

With out better pictures of the interior and sweat band etc I was thinking this a possible European beret that a SF flash was sewn too.

Also there have been a lot of berets bought by both vets and collectors that have been sold off ebay in the last 25-30 yearsSome worn post war for veterans functions,parades etc.

Infact just saw a Viet Nam vet in a local retail store Monday who was wearing a Woodland camo beret like those sold commercially through surplus stores.He was a 101st vet and had jump wings pinned to the beret.

I understand. This was kind of a sorry story. 30 years service no close family, comes down with Alzheimer's and is put in home. Went down hill fast after that and passed away. Since no close family distant relative is named executor and just told auctioneer go to house sell what you think will sell, trash the rest.

I understand. This was kind of a sorry story. 30 years service no close family, comes down with Alzheimer's and is put in home. Went down hill fast after that and passed away. Since no close family distant relative is named executor and just told auctioneer go to house sell what you think will sell, trash the rest.

Im glad you were able to get a few things.Sadly this happens a lot.

Im friends with an SF vet.He will be 90 this year.Hes pretty sharp and still rides a motor cycle but now with three wheels.

He is still pretty guarded when we speak.Somethings he may never speak of.Just glad to have him consider me as a friend and welcome me to his home when Im in town.

My AIT Commander was em S/F in Vietnam then came came back in as an officer. When I came down on orders for Germany I saw him in the airport, I said hello and went about my way. When I got to Germany he came up to me and asked if I wanted to be assigned to his company. I never forgot that and have often though that I never thanked him enough for what he did for me.