CAP cap badge question

Costa

Other then they were made by different companies ? :lol: I have always thought the KC Green's were the less common one, but I don't think I would pay a premium for one.

I have had both over the years, with a GEMSCO or 2. Right now my Pilot and Cap Badge (s) are Robbins, my observer is Green. At one point I had all Green. I think when I sold those ( as I am sometimes want to do) I really don't remember getting more than 10 or 15 bucks more then I would have gotten for a Robbins?

Were there any other producers of these cap pieces besides Robbins Co., Green K.C., and GEMSCO? I'm surprised Meyer's wasn't involved with contracting out C.A.P. orders during WWII?

Because of their minor differences in the feathering pattern, degree of detail, and propeller blade thickness, I'm assuming all three known companies had their own dies.

CAP1.jpg

Years ago I picked up a gilt example with a "Green K.C. - Sterling" mark, which is nearly identical to the silver example.

I initially thought it had been silver plated, then rubbed off, leaving only a brass foundation. But it's sterling marked and appears to be gilt throughout?

If it was ever authorized, I don't know what the gilt represents?

CAP4a.jpg