Unknown tac marks on helmets,

BILL THE PATCH

BILL THE PATCH

I took this shot from you tube, these troops are landing at bogainville, there not Marines but army according to the film. What army units landed at bogainville? Triangle with letter Gpost-11207-0-23539400-1503934587_thumb.jpg

The 37th Infantry landed. But I'm unsure what the triangle means, only thing that comes to mind is Armored divisions but I have no idea.

Jacob

These are markings used by the 41st Division, "The Jungleers". They used an assortment of circles, squares, triangles and + signs in combination with letters. I believe the triangle represents the 163rd Infantry Regt. In this photo the helmets are also marked with a "G" which I believe is the company letter. The letters/geometric shapes were applied front & back. The letter is sometimes on the right of the shape, sometimes on the left. There are examples with two squares and a letter, etc.

Tom

I should add that the 41st ID was not at Bougainville. However documentaries often use film footage that is representative of the period and locale being depicted.

Tom

BILL THE PATCH

I might be wrong on bogainville, where did they land?, I tried to remember from last night, but was half asleep when I took picture.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Here's a sample of some of the 41st ID markings. Photos are from various ops, the last of which is Jolo, Philippines in April 1945.

post-2064-0-77104300-1503971866_thumb.jpg

Tom