1967 M1 Garand M2 Ammo - collectible or shoot it

Wearp

I picked up a quantity of 1967 M1 ammo perfect condition. Just seeing if there is a collector market or go ahead and shoot it. Also have M1 AP.

Thanks

post-3857-0-18874900-1486860147.jpg

post-3857-0-73980600-1486860157.jpg

post-3857-0-85877900-1486860165.jpg

Is the headstamp on each cartridge 67? The 67 shown on the bandoleer may just be date of manufacture for the bandoleer itself.

There is a collectors market for this ammo, and as with most other militaria, the older it is, the greater the value. Condition also adds in. Are all the cartridges in each clip the same? Sometimes you will find full bandoleers with a variety of makes and years of ammo, which usually means the bandoleer has been repacked. A Vietnam collector might value this the most, whereas a collector of WW2 stuff might not look twice. I find lots of Lake City 69 and 72 ammo, and usually feel no guilt shooting it.

The AP ammo seems to be in high demand lately, and averages about $2 per round, whereas standard ball would be about $1 per round. Take a look at Gunbroker.com and ammogarand.com - they will give you a good idea of going rates for this ammo. Note the empty block clips sell for anywhere from $1 to $3 each, and there are collectors of those as well! The clips will have a manufacturer's mark on the bottom in the center circle area.

It's all 1967, none of the ammo is mixed, I was just curious what the collector interest vs. shooter interest was. Hate to use it up if it would be better in someone's collection.

post-3857-0-16012400-1486862793.jpg

I shot some 1960s Lake City ammo a few years ago and it shot fine although I noticed a strange sulfur smell. I had a few rounds that were duds. There use to be tons of this ammo out there in fact I think the CMP sold it maybe 5 or 6 years ago. Like all old ammunition, use common sense if you plan to use it. Inspect it before shooting. Do not use any cartridges that look corroded or damaged. At this point it's not worth much from a collectable standpoint but as this ammo dries up, that may change in the future.