Bring back collar tabs : what are they?

jweitkamp

post-9865-0-60775200-1461531051.jpgpost-9865-0-01991300-1461531492.jpgThese were in a large group to the engineering officer of the USS Plunkett who serve in N Africa, Italy, D-Day, and the Philippines. They are the size of normal German collar tabs, but made of two pieces of leather. Never seen a pair like these and opinions are welcome.

post-9865-0-28709000-1461531127.jpg

post-9865-0-69020900-1461531417.jpg

USCapturephotos

My great uncle served on the Plunkett before becoming a Navy flyer during WW2. Those are really interesting pieces. I hope someone else on the forum recognizes them.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

The SS-Nachrichteneinheiten was a signal unit of the SS but their collar tab insignia, while similar, was a single lightning bolt ending in an arrow point.

These tabs also don't seem to be the standard 'parallelogram' shape. Since they are leather I would guess if it is "issue" German from WWII, possibly Luftwaffe, on a jacket...but the Luftwaffe didn't use that type of symbol to my knowledge, and they seem fairly crude to be honest. Theater-made perhaps.

The lightning bolt could also be coincidentally the same general size/shape as German collar tabs, but be from another organization in another military, designating a radioman, electrician, signalman, etc.

Gunslinger

Collar tabs shown are not of German designed blitz and was never worn as a collar insignia

The Signals "Nachrichtenpersonal" would have worn a Sleeve trade insignia with Lemon Yellow trimmed Shoulder boards and unit identification collar tabs

The Signals trade insignia was worn by all Branches of the German Military including Luftwaffe and Kreigsmarine