Just acquired a Savage Enfield No4 MK1 US PROPERTY & have a few questions...

Morlok

I picked up a Savage manufactured No4 MK1 barreled receiver the other day. I traded a musette bag for it, so it only cost me about $20! It is the MK1*, with US Property stamped on it. No date, so late 43 or 44. It came with the bayonet and rear stock.

I would like to build a shooter with it, and I am not concerned about matching numbers and such. Would standard Enfield parts fit the Savage produced receiver? It would probably cost more than it is worth to purchase every part made by Savage. However, it seems Enfield produced parts are pretty easy to come by, and many are available in the aftermarket world. I will try to post a few pics in an hour or so.

Thanks!

It's covered in dust, needs a serious scrubbing/cleaning, but I think it was worth a $20 musette bag! Plus, it was "trade & carry"... No paperwork involved! Just the way I like it!

Serial number is 82C3***. I think it should clean up pretty good. It may be spring before I start picking up the parts. First thing I am going to do is pick up a good book & get to know these things a little better...

Also, I hope this is ok to post this on the forum. It appears these were not used by US forces, but they were manufactured in the US, and bear the US Ordnance stamp. I think they represent an important part of US involvement in the early stages of the war. While mine will most likely not be returned to its original factory configuration, I am going to try to get it as close as I can without breaking the bank, or its overall value.

Moderators: If you feel this is in violation of forum rules, you may lock the thread. Thank you!

Charlie Flick

Morlok:

These Savage rifles were a Lend Lease product and were not used by US Forces. However, since it is US manufactured and is technically US Property I don't see a problem with posts about it here.

Good luck on your project.

Regards,

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

Matt,

Head space is key on a shooter. Finding a bolt that is just right maybe difficult.I think the the bolt face part of the bolts are changeable to obtain correct head space.

If you are going to play with it,get a set of GO-NO GO gauges from Brownells or Midway USA. Remember Enfields cock on closing.Feels different from US bolt guns.

Bob

Also, I hope this is ok to post this on the forum. It appears these were not used by US forces, but they were manufactured in the US, and bear the US Ordnance stamp. I think they represent an important part of US involvement in the early stages of the war. While mine will most likely not be returned to its original factory configuration, I am going to try to get it as close as I can without breaking the bank, or its overall value.

Moderators: If you feel this is in violation of forum rules, you may lock the thread. Thank you!

The "US Property" stamp was a a legal canard to manufacture them as Lend Lease products, since all LL items had to be US issue.