Latest News on the OCP ACU's

B229

Mercenary25

It appears that Scorpion (newest OCP) has new sleeve pockets with zippered access and larger velcro panel.

Edited: I found a better photo showing close up of new OCP.

post-4082-0-20790500-1433291138.jpg

Yes, there are a number of improvements to the uniform that do away with most of the stupid "improvements" that were incorporated into the ACU's at the start.

Most of the velcro is replaced by buttons or zippers, the "Mandarin" collar is gone, the elbow and knee pad inserts are gone, the drawcords are gone, the sleeve pockets are longer so the 1st Cav SSI won't hang off the bottom any more, etc.

Since the collar is returning to a more normal design, the Army should go back to rank/BOS being worn on the collar and get rid of the stupid chest rank.

post-5617-0-45363600-1433338157.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Ft. Belvoir Clothing Sales this morning. No uniforms yet but they have tons of rank insignia: with velcro for the coat, without velcro for the cap, and slip-on for the Goretex jacket. Interestingly, they didn't have any shoulder sleeve insignia yet.

Since the collar is returning to a more normal design, the Army should go back to rank/BOS being worn on the collar and get rid of the stupid chest rank.

Since I retired in 2013, I don't have a dog in that fight...but would sure like to see that happen. I don't think the pogues will let it, though. It sure was useful in higher HQ (think FORSCOM) to see who had what background knowledge/experience.

Steve

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Just to clarify ACU is the cut of the uniform and only applies to the shirt and pants, the camouflage that doesn't blend in with anything* is UCP (universal camouflage pattern) the Pictures earlier in this thread in OCP are also ACUs

UCP gets called ACU a lot and it kinda bothers me.

*http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/1348857735138acu-couch1.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Just to clarify ACU is the cut of the uniform and only applies to the shirt and pants, the camouflage that doesn't blend in with anything* is UCP (universal camouflage pattern) the Pictures earlier in this thread in OCP are also ACUs

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I have been informed I was wrong, please ignore. Mops please delete

Collectors of "War On Terror" uniforms would do well to note the differences and scarf up the "original" OEF uniforms. These were typically only issued and worn by troops in Afghanistan. Exceptions are those who were slated to be deployed, were issued uniforms, but their orders changed, and didn't deploy (that actually happened a lot!). My deployment was cut from over 75 troops to just 12! We were all issued the OEF uniforms. I don't know if those troops cut from the deployment turned in their uniforms. I'm pretty sure they had to turn in their OCIE. Those of us who actually deployed had to tun in our OCIE upon return from theater. I really wanted to keep my vest, but didn't want to pay the government cost! If I recall, something like $700! I was in Dental when every one else went to CIF to turn in their OCIE, I sent most of it with a Buddie, but am carrying some of it still on my records. I may end up paying for a bit of it. I do have my helmet and OEF cammo cover I wore in Afghanistan. I will keep it!

Also note, some Navy and Air Force personnel (depending on their assignment) wore the OEF cammo uniform! The Marines I saw wore their Desert Cammo. I was an Infantry E-8, under the command of a Navy Commander (O-5, a submariner no less!) serving with several other Navy sailors (various Petty Officers in supply, commo and medical fields) at FOB Salerno, Afghanistan! Sailors in Afghanistan were affectionately called "dirt sailors". Of course, the original insignia and Veteran history is a MAJOR plus!

BKW

Looks like what we wore in the 1980's.

Hello swmdo, I don't know who the "we wore in the 1980's" is, but there is very little that is similar to the BDU's of the US Army in the "1980's". Yes, I'm an old guy, enlisted in 1986 and am still in today, so I have seen a couple of uniform changes. Can you post a photo or two that shows the similarities of your 1980's uniform to that of the OCP or Scorpion cammo?

Thanks for your input, I am always interested in learning about US Military uniforms. I am not an expert, just been around a while.

BKW

Wow thanks for your service.

I enlisted in 1980 and I'm still in too. I'm a mustang so I've seen all the changes from that time, and that's also why I'm still in and going for 40. However, I'm not in the Army nor did I mean to imply that.

I have had numerous relatives who have served in the Army since the Revolution and I like the Army and those who serve in it. I'm referring to the old woodland BDU that all the Services wore back then and prior even old EDRL. In my opinion looks very similar not exact but similar. Had to pull a picture off my shelf and this was as late as 2002. Prior to the slew of new uniform types amongst the services.

post-5332-0-16398100-1454143444.jpg

Brian,

U.S. Army National Guard soldiers wear BDUs in woodland camouflage during a .... Resembling the BDU fatigues, the new ODU uniforms retains the basic design of the old-style BDU uniforms, but with ...The above quote was in Wikipedia so I guess others are saying the same?

To clarify I think the camouflage pattern looks similar. Great topic and I don't want to get it off track unless you have more questions for me.

post-5332-0-96133900-1454144159.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I have been informed I was wrong, please ignore. Mops please delete

The information was correct, it just might offend some people.

Hello Swmdo,

I was wondering if you were referring to the BDU's. I don't think they are very similar, but I guess it's the eye of the beholder. There are major differences in the uniform besides the cammo pattern, placement of pockets, flame resistance, zipper front. Thanks for posting the photos.

BKW

Hello Swmdo,

I was wondering if you were referring to the BDU's. I don't think they are very similar, but I guess it's the eye of the beholder. There are major differences in the uniform besides the cammo pattern, placement of pockets, flame resistance, zipper front. Thanks for posting the photos.

BKW

Brian,

Your spot on. I'm sure the news ones are better from ease of access comfortable, flame resistance, etc.

I needed to be a little clearer with my comments. Thanks for the comments.

SWMDO