KC-X Tanker Discussion

Teamski

I hope this doesn't offend our overseas members of the board, but I wanted to discuss the KC-X competition between Airbus and Boeing. I have personally opposed the use of the Airbus from the get-go as the next generation tanker not just because it is another foreign aircraft in the US inventory, but because of just how unfit it is for what we need our next tanker to be. I wrote my congressmen on this, passing on my flightline experience, in that bigger is definately not better when dealing with deployable aircraft. Wrestling around C-5s in comparison to C-17s for 19 years has taught me a lot! Well, I finally found an illustration on another forum that highlights my exact point. We need to stick with 767's. Your thoughts.

-Ski

post-3043-1217055605.jpg

Great stats. You were preaching to the choir with me. I don't like the idea of out-sourcing our defense. Dave

Gigantic KC-30 in the case of accident will cause proportionally gigantic catastrophe. I would afraid so giant tanker. The tankers are not free of accidents the same as all other aircraft.

My two cents...

Steindaddie

Being a native of the Washington state, where the 767 is built, plus having several family members in Boeing's employ, I am what you might call a little biased ! I think the "ScareBus" is oversized and in the long run, overpriced. The good news is that it's not a done deal. Boeing officially protested the Air Force's decsion and that was recently upheld by the GAO citing a flawed selection process regarding the cost and capabilities of the respective aircraft. They even recommend the USAF reimburse Boeing for the legal fees incurred by the protest. It is important to note however, that the GAO decision isn't so much a reflection on the Airbus as it about the way the Air Force chose it. But for fuel and maintenance costs alone, the 767 is defintely a better buy.

Despite my lifelong vested interest in Boeing, it can be said they did make a few of their own problems. They had the tanker deal in the bag in 2001 but then the scandal emerged where the Air Force procurement officer had unduly favored Boeing, and in return, what a surprise, she landed a nice fat job there when she left the Air Force. She and the Boeing CFO both ended up in jail and Boeing was then a touchy tanker subject.

The Government Accounting Office decision has made it a whole new game though, and there is a strong chance that Boeing will prevail. I hope they do, the 767 is a great aircraft and the logical choice for the next generation of tanker.