I got to handle these before they are gone...

Gator

Because of what I do I had the privilege of holding and reviewing the following long guns before they are gone; if you know what I mean. I do not implied that I am in any way a rifle expert but some internet research leads me to believe that this Springfield Armory was manufactured in November '41. Those who are experts, please correct me if I am wrong.

post-5028-0-87058100-1418355602.jpg

post-5028-0-73968200-1418355614.jpg

GeneralCheese

Buyback? Since someone was obviously going to use a trapdoor to rob a corner store. There should really be exemptions for historical pieces like this.

I agree, there should be. Not to start a political debate but there is to much of a liability no matter how small the chance.

Next is a Rock-Ola. Production range:November 1943 through March 1944

post-5028-0-25522400-1418357617.jpg

post-5028-0-35965200-1418357628.jpg

post-5028-0-31261500-1418357635.jpg

Last two:

Springfield Armory Model 1903 Mark I and another M1. Don't know why I didn't ID the manufacture for this one. Judging by the SN, its a Winchester?

post-5028-0-08039400-1418357749.jpg

post-5028-0-71967300-1418357773.jpg

post-5028-0-94883400-1418357794.jpg

GeneralCheese

The way I've heard it put best is that in the end they'll all end up destroyed, these ones just got to go a little earlier.

Still heartbreaking though.

SergeantMajorGray

I'm pretty sure some departments sell these weapons. I don't see how it could be to hard to give them to a museum at least. Can you strip them down to receivers at least since that is the "gun"

They should be sold to raise money for other department expenses, ie training, new weapons etc. assuming we are talking about law enforcement departments. I know it happens. Depending on state laws the weapons should be parted out as a minimum. That's my opinion, I know it didn't garner a cup of coffee.

I agree, there should be. Not to start a political debate but there is to much of a liability no matter how small the chance.

Next is a Rock-Ola. Production range:November 1943 through March 1944

Well, since you brought it up, that's exactly the attitude that is the problem...no more liability than the thousands of FFL's who sell used guns. Auction or sell them off to FFL's. Let them sell them properly on the books. Have them sign a release, whatever...

Destroying them is a crime against history....

There's about $3400 going up in smoke that the Department could certainly use elsewhere. The Garand and Carbines are arsenal rebuilt, but the Garand could still bring $1000 and the carbines $600 each. The Model 1884 Trapdoor would most likely go for $700, while the sporterized M1903 Mark 1 would go for around $500. And history would be served better by saving them.

Sadly I've seen many firearms meet the same fate. Most don't see them as history but only as the dreaded "assault weapons" that get up in the middle of the night and shoot all by themselves.

I was a Lieutenant in the Philadelphia Police Department and I know our department destroys all guns used in a crime. They got so touchy about guns in Philly we were no longer allowed to purchase our service revolvers when we retired.....they were melted down. On the outskirts of Philadelphia, the suburban towns sell the guns to authorized dealers once they are not needed anymore for evidence and the case is done. I picked up an M1 carbine that had been used in a bank robbery that way.