How can I safely remove a repro patch from a uniform?

SergeantMajorGray

SergeantMajorGray

I have this uniform here with a patch that I'm suspecting is a collector added original or maybe a reproduction. Before you ask is this U.S? No it's not but imagine this a ERDL jacket with a SF patch the exact same question would apply. Is a razor blade the best way to remove this? Once it's off how can I make it seem like it was never there (fix the needle holes) I will only remove this patch if I can confirm it's not supposed to be there. If you know the history of the 3rd S.A.S please PM me.

post-104619-0-91521300-1409713504.jpg

I always used what is called a "seam ripper"... sold where you find sewing supplies.

Be gentle when you pull the threads through.

With some materials, if you wash the garment in warm water and carefully dry, some of the threads will pull tighter and the holes will appear to be smaller. It just depends on how long the patch has been on the garment and how much the thread has worn itself into the base fabric.

SergeantMajorGray

I always used what is called a "seam ripper"... sold where you find sewing supplies.

Be gentle when you pull the threads through.

With some materials, if you wash the garment in warm water and carefully dry, some of the threads will pull tighter and the holes will appear to be smaller. It just depends on how long the patch has been on the garment and how much the thread has worn itself into the base fabric.

Thanks. Which way should I pull the threads out front or back? i don't really want to wash this uniform would applying hot water just to the patch area work?

If that is a repro patch, pull the stitches from on top of the patch. That way, if you slip with the seam ripper you will just damage the repro patch. You can pick a seam ripper up at JoAnns Fabrics or Walmart for $3.

1. Your's looks easy to remove. You can just rip them on the face of the patch.

2. Or, Work on a corner first. Clip 2-3 threads on each side of the corner and then use your hand to gently pull the patch away from the uniform. As you do, you can easily reach the threads holding the patch on...and you can clip them with the seam ripper.

Agree with Gil and OCS

Seam ripper is the route to go.One thread at a time.

They are for sale at any sewing supply or fabric shop.Even Walmart has them

SergeantMajorGray

Thanks guys I'm thinking this is definitely not supposed to be on there and there is some puckering. If it passes the glow test though i might just keep it on there.

SergeantMajorGray

I was told on a forum that the patch was a reproduction of the WW2 French 3rd S.A.S so it clearly had to go the sew job was poor so I was able to safely remove it with the scissors on my Swiss Army knife. You can not tell it was on there in person but the top row is visible in the picture that said I have not applied hot water yet or ironed it.

post-104619-0-37713400-1409798906.jpgpost-104619-0-68074600-1409798931.jpg

Not hot water.

Warm water.

Hot water can fade the colors and cause shrinkage.

You could also just try steaming it with an iron... again not hot, but slightly warm and steamy. Apply iron on the inside of the garment.

Or you could just leave it alone which might be the best course of all.

SergeantMajorGray

Not hot water.

Warm water.

Hot water can fade the colors and cause shrinkage.

You could also just try steaming it with an iron... again not hot, but slightly warm and steamy. Apply iron on the inside of the garment.

Or you could just leave it alone which might be the best course of all.

Thanks most likely I'm just going to leave it alone maybe steam with the iron in the future if it bugs me.