10 years on: How the US military adapted to the challenges of the Iraq War

Sabrejet

Interesting piece there I actually learned that Marines were wearing flight suits at one point. There were a few things it missed like the introduction of Buffalo's to counter IED's, kevlar napestraps, introduction of the IOTV (with quick release straps to easily treat wounded), and counter-IED technology. Thanks for sharing the article :D

Yeah...I was surprised to learn that the Corps issued its combat troops with flight suits! The new generation Multicam and Marpat uniforms are flame retardant aren't they? Mine's packed away right now, but I'm pretty sure the label actually states that. Looks like the USN had a problem too!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2260285/Cost-comfort-safety-Navy-admits-standard-issue-camouflage-highly-flammable-melt-skin-sailors-asked-easy-handle-garment.ht

Yeah...I was surprised to learn that the Corps issued its combat troops with flight suits! The new generation Multicam and Marpat uniforms are flame retardant aren't they? Mine's packed away right now, but I'm pretty sure the label actually states that. Looks like the USN had a problem too!

http://www.dailymail...ndle-garment.ht

That is correct the current ones are both flame and bug retardant. When I deployed in 08 we didn't have any of the FR stuff, and when we did, it was in country a couple of months later. This was also around the point when they told us underarmor clothing was no longer allowed for wear. When we got the FR stuff, most of it got stashed away as 'nice/new' because they never really told us there was a difference between what we had and the new stuff.