Fixed Bale Navy M1

king802

This helmet was found today in a antiques shop locally today by a friend. Early war complete liner and marked Fixed bail shell. Ridiculous low price.

What is the rank ?

Rich

post-1878-0-74204400-1358622636_thumb.jpg

That's interesting ! This helmet is in England and there is a D-Day embarkation port just down the road.

Rich

Clearly this helmet was being prepped for the 29th division insignia in anticipation of DDay. You must fill in the circle with correct grey/blue lead based paint to make this helmet more complete.

Seriously, I have no idea about the markings, but I am surprised you can still find an M1 helmet in England. Any shots of the liner?

Corpsmancollector

Some guys have all the look eh, Rich! Looks like a cracker, well done...That's a good friend you have there!

Will

I believe if it's RN it might be a Lieutentants rank....

I believe your right on that. There are other Navy items in the shop including a US Gasmask so my friend is going to find out where it all came from.

Not a bad find for $50

Rich

What is a RN officer doing with a US helmet? Liaison officer?

Apparently it was common practice to have RN Liasion officers of the rank of Lieutenant serving aboard foreign ships working with the RN. At a guess I'd say that's probably the case with this helmet. Some of the other items in the shop may shed more light on it.

Rich

What is a RN officer doing with a US helmet? Liaison officer?

Canadian troops wore M1 helmets during the invasion of Kiska Island and the Alaska campaign.

Ronnie

Due to the weather conditions here my friend hasn't brought the helmet over yet, but the Rank marking is for Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve and is a Lieutenant - hence the wavy Navy insignia.

Liner is a Firestone and shell is a Fixed bail Schlueter with early hardwear. My friend picked up this and an original MK2 British helmet for £50 or about $79.

Not a bad days work.

Rich

• 4 weeks later...
WhoCaresWhoWins

Hi guys, I am King 802's father and I am going to see this helmet this evening with a view to purchasing it for my collection. I understand that both the helmets ( a British one as well) came from a house clearance and that they spent years in an outside shed. Unfortunatley something attached itself to the inside of the back of the liner (possibly a wasp nest) and the suspension strap has rotted at the rivet. The headband has the buckle at the front and has been pulled tight with the excess being cut off. If I purchase this helmet should I just clean it up or should I replace the headband? Please let me have your opinions on this. I will let you know if I purchase it.

Clearly this helmet was being prepped for the 29th division insignia in anticipation of DDay. You must fill in the circle with correct grey/blue lead based paint to make this helmet more complete.

Seriously, I have no idea about the markings, but I am surprised you can still find an M1 helmet in England. Any shots of the liner?

I wouldn't do anything to it. That would take away from the originality of the helmet. Changing an artifact just to make it more visually appealing is a very big mistake.

Hi guys, I am King 802's father and I am going to see this helmet this evening with a view to purchasing it for my collection. I understand that both the helmets ( a British one as well) came from a house clearance and that they spent years in an outside shed. Unfortunatley something attached itself to the inside of the back of the liner (possibly a wasp nest) and the suspension strap has rotted at the rivet. The headband has the buckle at the front and has been pulled tight with the excess being cut off. If I purchase this helmet should I just clean it up or should I replace the headband? Please let me have your opinions on this. I will let you know if I purchase it.

Hi King's dad, welcome! As of now, the helmet is in it's original, as found condition. We don't have any pictures to go on, but if the soiling is not too bad and there are no spiders or wasps making a home in there now, then nothing needs to be done--IMO.

WhoCaresWhoWins

Hi King's dad, welcome! As of now, the helmet is in it's original, as found condition. We don't have any pictures to go on, but if the soiling is not too bad and there are no spiders or wasps making a home in there now, then nothing needs to be done--IMO.

I wouldn't do anything to it. That would take away from the originality of the helmet. Changing an artifact just to make it more visually appealing is a very big mistake.

Thanks for the input guys.I veiwed the helmet last night and quite frankly the photograph of the liner (above) does show it in a much better light than it is. I would say it is in semi relic condition. Because it has been stored very badly for years. the shell seemed ok but the liner detracted from the appeal. I did make an offer but the owner was reluctant to accept it, I upped the offer with the same result. He did say he would think it over. I think he has been looking on E-Pay and expected much more. I did take along 2 of my best helmets to show him what an expensive one looks like. He said he would think about it and if he decided to sell it he would give me a ring. He is not a collector. I will of course not do anything to it apart from a little wipe over to remove the dust. I will keep you informed. Regards.

Hi

You have got to love the UK, everyone is trying to make a quick buck as usual... I would stick to your guns on your offer.

A really cool painted Navy helmet came out of an old ladies loft in Kent at the end of last year, just shows there is still some US stuff to be found...

Regards

Tom

Great lid with mystery attached! I recently got a Navy helmet maked to the USS Thorn that was found located at a boot fair in London! But with ebay and other collector sites online, not too surprising! :)

Cheers,

Mike