Is it a drogue or ejection seat chute

TrentRock

Hey fellas

1st post here

My Bladeforums.com homie Anvilring referred me to this group

I'll post a LITTLE something about me in the new guy forum section soon thumbsup.gif

I must warn you all that I hold several records for "the longest" post on several forums!!

Anyways

This is what brought me here for starters=====>

Is this a drogue parachute or an ejection seat parachute???

I have seen these listed as both on EBAY

Drogue1.jpg

drogue_tag.jpg

I didn't whip out my tape measure but I would estimate it's about 36" in diameter when opened

Thanks for your help!!!

After being a hard core knife collector for the last year

I have made the decision to enter the world of military memorabilia

My mind is made up

I'm gonna do it in earnest

I'm sure Visa, EBAY and PayPal are gonna be REAL happy............

It looks like a pilot chute for reserve parachute. These have a compression spring device that helps pull the canopy out. Kevin

Yes it does have a compression spring

Do you mean reserve chute the pilot wears on his back? or the one attached to the seat??

• 2 weeks later...

That specific PN matches the pilot chute used in the T-10 reserve. This is the reserve parachute used with the T10 or MC-1 series main parachutes jumped by parachutists/paratroopers. I don't think this specific PN is used in the pilot/ejection seat parachutes. I don't have access to my manuals right now to confirm.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RT Ohio

I could be wrong but it looks like to me a drogue chute for an ejection seat. Most drogue chutes are anywhere from 2' to 5' in diameter.

I looked through my set of Navy TMs for parachutes and this one isn't listed in any of them either. They use a different type of pilot chute and PN in their backpack and ejection seat parachutes. I don't know for sure about the USAF but I suspect they use similar chute configurations as the Navy. So far, it looks to be only used in the chest mounted reserve chutes used by airborne units.

OK

Thanks for checking your data fellas!!!

I was taking pictures cause I was thinking of selling it on EBAY and I noticed a "mark"===> M36

I did some googling and came up with:

M36 TH-3 cluster

The main incendiary agents are thermite (TH), magnesium (MG), WP, and combustible hydrocarbons (including oils and thickened gasoline).

Thermite incendiaries are a mixture of powdered aluminium metal and ferric oxide and are used in bombs for attacks on armoured fighting vehicles. Thermite burns at about 2000°C and scatters molten metal, which may lodge in the skin producing small multiple deep burns.

Here is a M35 Incendiary Cluster Bomb

Maybe the M36 is the Themite model?

300px-M35_2_(ORDATA).jpg

M35 Bomba

A basic cluster bomb is a hollow shell (generally streamlined if intended for carriage by fast aircraft) containing from three to more than 2,000 submunitions. Some types are dispensers that are designed to be retained by the aircraft after releasing their munitions. The submunitions themselves may be fitted with small parachute retarders or streamers to slow their descent (allowing the aircraft to escape the blast area in low-altitude attacks).

WIKI-O-Matic

I measured it and it is 35 inches in diameter

My question:

Does any body have any pictures of cluster bombs falling with parachutes??

I still think it is an ejection seat parachute most likely

But you guys know A LOT more than I do

I'm just tossing this M36 stuff out there for more discussion, comments, corrections

It looks like the ejection seat parachutes go for about 10-20 bucks on EBAY

I'll probably keep it because I like it as a backdrop for taking pictures of military knives thumbsup.gif

Knowing me I have to find the M35 and M37 parachutes now ;)think.gif

The M36 mark is at the bottom

M35_Tag.jpg

The "M36" marking would likely be the manufacturer's inspection mark rather than the end item assembly ID. Most items aren't marked with the end item ID anymore as the same part/item may be used in many different assemblies. As mentioned the PN 49J7161-2 only matches the type of pilot chute used with the airborne chest-mounted reserve parachutes rather than the aircrew/ejection parachute systems (Reference: TM 10-1670-268-23&P).

The PNs for the aircrew & ejection parachute pilot/drogue chutes include: 53J7205, 60A125E16-1, 510AS108-1, 608AS110-1, & 3615AS0530-1 (Backpack and Seat type-Non Ejection Seat Mounted); 755AS105, 32-821552-15, 128SCES105-1, & 472P223E001-1 (Backpack type-Ejection Seat Mounted); MBEU34505, MBEU65690, MBEU65691, 1.9083GR-3, 12632-1, & MBEU147716 (Ejection Seat Drogue). Again, the chutes aren't marked as to the end item such as "NB-6" or "F/A-18" as they are common to several different parachute assemblies and aircraft configurations.

If you sell it on ebay, I would recommend listing it as a pilot chute for the T-10 reserve parachute used by airborne units.

OK

Good info

Where do you get all the part #'s?

Is there one book you have or different books for different categories of equipment??

The Army TM 10-1670-269-23&P lists the T-10 Reserve Parachute and it's components. You can find this on the Army's ETM site. The Navy NAVAIR 13-1-6.2 lists the aircrew and ejection seat parachute systems. Many of the non-ejection seat (backpack type) parachute systems and the MB ejection seat systems are common throughout the services. I don't know if you can find this one on the web. I got my copy from when I was in the service.

Another tip on pilot chutes is in the design. The type you have is designed more for low-velocity opening conditions like from a airborne parachute drop. Notice that with the lateral spring loaded fingers, it looks like an umbrella when open-a relatively weak design. It works when the pack is opened, releasing the fingers, and the pilot chute catches air near the pack. Whereas the aircrew & ejections seats pilot chutes are designed differently to accomodate high-velocity opening conditions at higher aircraft speeds. These chutes have a center spring in line with the apex to push it directly out from the pack and a larger skirt to catch air. So, when the pack is open, the pilot chute springs out farther away from the pack before it begins to catch air. This type chute is also reinforced by the design and has more skirt material to catch air once it is away from the pack.