Next of Kin dog tags.

tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90

I know next of kin dog tags were issued with the address and next of kin Id'ed. But aside from that I'm not sure if they were issued to service men, if they were worn in combat, ect. Also the pair I found was from an enlisted who enlisted in 1940. Would they have been issued at the same time, and bring '40 I'm assuming he would have served out the war. I'm just looking for basic nok info. Thank.

Next of kin dog tags were issued to the Army and Air Corps just before our entry in WW2. The NOK information was discontinued around mid-war. However, notched dog tags (without NOK info.) can be found to other service branches.

Regards,

The Wharfmaster

In Peace and War. US Merchant Marine.

tdogchristy90

Are they sought after compared to later war issues? When compiling a war I guess you could call "type" set, what's more desired, early or later war tags?

The NOK tags command a higher price than the later war tags. They are more interesting to collect, in my opinion, for the simple fact that you have a lot of personnal information on the item itself. Though research potential is just as great for later war tags with the serial number and NARA database.

Are they sought after compared to later war issues? When compiling a war I guess you could call "type" set, what's more desired, early or later war tags?

A number of collectors try to put a type set together containing a NOK tag from every State/Territory.

Not easy to do. Most are common, some are scarce. Some collectors collect to their State only.

The value of tags is in the research. Like named medals, what you find about the individual is what counts. Dog tags worn by famous or high ranking people, worn in famous battles, elite unit tags and KIAs command a premium.

Regards,

W

tdogchristy90

Well the one in question comes from Webb city Missouri. It peaked my interest because I'm originally from Carthage Missouri which is only about 15min away from Webb city so I'm very familiar with the area.

Well the one in question comes from Webb city Missouri. It peaked my interest because I'm originally from Carthage Missouri which is only about 15min away from Webb city so I'm very familiar with Webb city.

As one would guess, small town/remote village tags are less common. They may or may not bring a premium. Tags to New York are common due to population but there are a lot of New York collectors out there looking for them too.

Me, I will pay a little more for a "local" tag.

Regards,

W

Yep, and you never know what you'll find. I am trying to put together a state collection and always buy Kansas tags. I've pulled out a paratrooper and a Silver Star winner in random places. You never know what you will find with a little research. Dog tags are incredibly interesting to collect.

If anyone can find a set for my hometown, Tonganoxie, KS, I will pay a premium

My collection of ww11 tags has hit 240 matched pairs now,I find them very interesting to collect,apart from the guys underware how personal can you get.! Something that was worn for there duration of service.

I like to collect NOK tags with names or states that I find interesting or places that I have visited

I managed to pick up over some time tags that had the same name as characters from movies ect ect

Miller , Ryan , Doyle. From SPR,funny the tags for Ryan have the Christian name Francis ..no bids on flea bay scored them for $10'

Nice set of tags named to a slaughter from Texas who on research was a sgt

Wildcat if I come across a set from your hometown i will give you a heads up

Best regards joe

Thanks Joe, I appreciate it. I'm with you, nothing more interesting than finding and researching dog tags to learn about the individual GI in World War II. My favorite NOK address in my collection is a "Trailer Camp" in Connecticut, haha.

i have a pair from my wife's late father, who survived pearl harbor and went through the pacific campaigns. he was a sgt by the time dec 7 happened, so i don't know when they were issued to him.

I'm with you guys..14 years ago when I started collecting, I was helmet crazy. Now, I love nothing more than to collect and reseach dog tags. There's nothing more interesting to me than the background, and not necessarily the service, of a veteran.