Cadet Nurse Summer Uniform sans Hat.

US Victory Museum

US Victory Museum

A Cadet Nurse summer uniform of a junior Cadet Nurse.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to launder out old sweat stains without stressing

63 year old cloth? (PM me directly please.)

This uniform bears the buttons of the Public Health Service, of which the Cadet Nurse program

was a part. Their purpose was to increase the number of available nurses at a time when

combat casualties were expected in greater numbers when the US invaded continental Europe.

To attract women into this program, their education would be completely subsidized provided that

they serve a limited amount of time working for the US Government (ANC, NNC, or at a Veteran's

Hospital) upon graduation.

post-1529-1200204955.jpg

US Victory Museum

Maltese Cross shoulder insignia. A single cross one each shoulder indicated the lowest rank, a junior cadet nurse.

post-1529-1200205245.jpg

The easiest way I have found is to find "Bar Keepers Friend" the scouring powder (I know... I know... just keep reading) and mix it with water to make a paste. Leave it on for about 15 min and rinse. It removes rust stains as well. Its the oxicillic acid that takes it out. (don't worry it only attacks the stains not the cloth) I have used it several times for both rust and sweat with no adverse affects. Having said that.... you should test it on a non-conspicuous part of the cloth first. My previous successess do not guarantee yours but it does work.

The easiest way I have found is to find "Bar Keepers Friend" the scouring powder (I know... I know... just keep reading) and mix it with water to make a paste. Leave it on for about 15 min and rinse. It removes rust stains as well. Its the oxicillic acid that takes it out. (don't worry it only attacks the stains not the cloth) I have used it several times for both rust and sweat with no adverse affects. Having said that.... you should test it on a non-conspicuous part of the cloth first. My previous successess do not guarantee yours but it does work.

I discovered how great Bar Keepers was back in the late 70's. You have just added another facet to that great product!

Tom thumbsup.gif