PONCHO/SHELTER HALF

TLK456

Hello,all! I just joined this outfit to see what I could learn about collecting MILITARIA.This post is about caring for the WWII USMC PONCHOS.I have 2 of them on the way from 2 different dealers.The one here in the states says that the price range that I bought from may have some tears and may be stained.I'm wondering how to fix a tear,w/o using scotch tape or some crap like that.I'd like it to be as invisible as it can be.If it's stained,would it hurt to hand clean it AND maybe apply some Armor All? I do know not to use a strong detergent.The other one comes from across the Pond and I'm told that there are NO stains or tears.YES,it's from Greece.I was a little leary about buying from there but I saw that dealers here in the states were getting them from there and charging 3 times what I paid.Thanks guys/gals.I look forward to hearing from you and to learning a lot on this forum.By the way,I live in south central Ohio.

TLK456

Over the years I have purchased a number of the ponchos listed by the sellers in Greece. They are all NEW condition, with plenty of talcum powder left.

If you wish to clean the poncho use ONLY water with a terry cloth towel...you may need several towels to complete the job. Never use a product intended for polishing, rejuvenating furniture or automobile interiors. Most of these turn into a hard coating and will do more damage to your artifact then just cleaning. As for repairing tears...don't try, as you may do more damage then what it is worth, as for stains use the above method (Water and towel) and a slightly more vigorous rubbing. If you are adamant about trying to remove stains yourself you could use a mild dish-washing liquid detergent in the same dilution as you would wash dishes with, thorough cleaning with water only would be needed afterwards. You may also consider taking the artifact to a professional cleaner for their opinion...bearing in mind that if there are any marking left, the cleaning woudl remove them.

I would suggest not attempting a cleaning and repairing of the poncho which has tears and staining. You purchased the item knowing that it had deficiencies and it would not be prudent to try and "fix it up". Use it as a display piece on a mannequin or on a table...it will have character.

Cheers

Thank-you so much for your reply.It was received,today.It had so much talc,on it,it was hard to make out the camo.Taking your advice,I put it on the hood of my Expedition,used a mild D/W detergent to wash it w/ a soft cloth.Had to wash it 2 times.It came out,beautiful.Wish that I had taken before and after pictures.Christmas came early for me this year.It's dated 1943.In my own opinion,that is next to the best year to have.Thank-you for answering my question,as you can see,you are the only one,to do so. Terry

• 3 months later...

Like Alonso, I also got some of that ex-US-Greece stock.

The rubber had completely hardened. It came folded, and with warm water I was able to unfold it a bit, clean

the white powder of (talcum and various assorted other whites)(heck, when do ex-US-Columbian Shelter Halves

hit the market??).

After cleaning, the buggers hardened all up again, and today one still rest as hard and folded as can be in my

war room. Ah well... still a great item...