Purple Heart cardboard box

leaftree

I have been recently trying to find out more about this P.H. and I am a little surprised to find very little information about the cardboard box. To me it looks generic and would be fairly common.

I was under the impression only service medals and lower medals post WWII used the blue cardboard box.

Does anyone have more information on these? who manufactured it, years that it was awarded etc.

Any help would be great.

Thank you.

post-31565-1304180075.jpg

post-31565-1304180087.jpg

Check out this post, it shows these box’s at an award presentation.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...=107536&hl=

Thank you for the reply LuftStalg1.

I think my concern is that the case label doesn't match other labels I've seen for cartons. Usually they have the manufacturer's name, date, a NSN number etc. this one has a plain description, that's it.

So, from the information I have and after reading the latest International Medal Collector Magazine (Vol. II number 1) I would say this is a Type 3 (1943-1945) with a pre- 1940 carton.

Any further information would be appreciated.

Thank you for the reply LuftStalg1.

I think my concern is that the case label doesn't match other labels I've seen for cartons. Usually they have the manufacturer's name, date, a NSN number etc. this one has a plain description, that's it.

So, from the information I have and after reading the latest International Medal Collector Magazine (Vol. II number 1) I would say this is a Type 3 (1943-1945) with a pre- 1940 carton.

Any further information would be appreciated.

I have a slot brooch army GCM in a blue box with the same kind of plain description-labelled box. I assumed it was issued post war (maybe interwar to korea or perhaps beyond) since it does not have any of the typical WWII date, manufacturer, contract info. I wouldn't be surprised if both medals were produced by the same firm. The GCM is not numbered or wrap brooch, eliminating the idea that it was produced pre WWII.

Josh

I have an identically marked box for a PH issued to a AAC serviceman late in the war. They are legit, although I have no idea as to why they were used as opposed to the normal case of issue.

Jack's Son

Purple Heart Medals, (as all medals) start out in these cardboard boxes. When they are going to be presented or issued to personnel, they will be placed in the presentation cases we are used to seeing. The presentation cases are not used with all medals such as campaign medals or general issue medals which are sent in the blue storage boxes.

Thank you for the replies.

I thought the box looked in to good of condition for pre-1940's.