Revenue Cutter Service (pre Coast Guard) Ranks and Rates

hhbooker2

Coxswain 2nd Class Petty Officers of the United States Revenue Cutter Service wore these special rates until 1915 when they became the United States Coast Guard, a arrow through an anchor was the specialty mark. The chevrons were two-piece, white over red sewn a white background as seen here. The U.S. Navy's Coxswain for crossed anchors and was a 3rd Class Petty Officer and upon making 2nd Class Petty Officer were Bpatswain's Mates. :lol:

post-837-1202955693.jpg

Yeoman (crossed quill pens) and Quartermaster (ship's steering wheel) worn by petty officers of the Revenue Cutter Servicem pre-Coast Guard. w00t.gif

post-837-1202956096.jpg

post-837-1202956109.jpg

While the Master-at-Arms of the United States Navy wore a large five-point star, the Revenue Cutter Service wore a U.S. shield as seen for 2nd and 1st Class Petty Officer's rates here. ermm.gif

post-837-1202956292.jpg

post-837-1202956310.jpg

Machinist's Mate 2nd Class like tgheir U.S. Navy wore a 3-bladed ship's screw as well in the R.C.S.! ;)

post-837-1202956438.jpg

Said it before, will say it again....just incredible.

Those rates are just rare as rare can be it seems. I never would have known what these were if I found them someplace.

Your reference material is incredible.

Said it before, will say it again....just incredible.

Those rates are just rare as rare can be it seems. I never would have known what these were if I found them someplace.

Your reference material is incredible.

JASON: What about this find, three different Revenue Cutter Service rates for Master-at-Arms for 3rd, 2nd, and 1st Class Petty Officers. :) Sarge

post-837-1203141171.jpg

JASON: What about this find, three different Revenue Cutter Service rates for Master-at-Arms for 3rd, 2nd, and 1st Class Petty Officers. :) Sarge

Fantastic items.

I'd love to find some of these "white chevron" USCG rating badges. I'll have to add it to my Want List..

http:www.navydp.com/Navy%20Images/Dan-s_Current_Want_List2.pdf

Will look at SOS...

-dan

An 1891 set of uniform regulations of the Revenue Cutter Service appeared after this article started, here is a page showing several types of headgear and the badges for the caps of the petty officers. think.gif Sarge Booker

post-837-1203531336.jpg