• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SCF-Collector

SCF-Collector
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,293
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

As part of my interest in the Gettysburg reunions (1888, 1913, 1938) I also collect monument dedication medals and ribbons from Gettysburg. I just picked up a piece I (nor anyone else I've shown it to) have ever seen before. The condition is truly mint-in-box and it comes with an amazing added bonus.

This ribbon has never been out of the box - let alone worm. The condition is amazing - and the colors are absolutely electric. These pictures just do not do it justice.

150th_NY_Ribbon_Done.JPG 150th_NY_Ribbon_Back_Done.JPG

Here's a picture of the monument on the battlefield at Gettysburg.

150th_Monument_Gettysburg.jpg

Here are a couple of links with information on the regiment - and their monument at Gettysburg:

150th NY Monument - Gettysburg

150th New York Infantry - Dutchess Regiment

In my opinion the rarity of this ribbon is matched only by its condition. I've never owned a ribbon that was cleaner and brighter - like the day it was made.

I mentioned this piece came with an added bonus - please see next post for the provenance of this ribbon!

#2 SCF-Collector

SCF-Collector
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,293
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Part II:

This ribbon came in its original box (tissue papers and all). The box has had a rough life - but it has done its job very well and the contents have been well protected.

The box is addressed to the recipient:

150th_NY_Box_Top_Done.JPG

I had a bit of a problem deciphering the handwriting - but after staring at it long enough I figured it out. The recipient is Joseph F. Barnard - Supreme Court Justice, State of New York, 2nd Department (served 1862-1893 - forced to retire due to age).

It wasn't a Veteran's name - which is what I expected - but it was a great ID!

Inside the box was a small envelope. In that envelope was a small circular from the organizing committee for the monument. That was cool enough, but when I turned it over - I found:

[150th_NY_Invite_ABSmith_Done1.JPG

It didn't take me long to figure out that A.B. Smith was Alfred Baker Smith - a Major in the Regiment at Gettysburg - and later Colonel of the Regiment. Oh, and also a member of the organizing committee for the monument dedication.

150th_NY_Invite_Done.JPG

I can't believe my luck in adding this piece to my collection. A rare Gettysburg Monument dedication ribbon - presented to a New York Supreme Court Justice (the presiding Judge at the time of this dedication BTW), and presented by the Colonel of the Regiment with his personal invite.

I hope you enjoy looking at this as much as I do every time I walk in and see it sitting on the shelf.

Edited by SCF-Collector, 18 April 2012 - 01:20 PM.

#3 SARGE

SARGE

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 130
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:27 AM

An outstanding ribbon and accouterments. Also, a great job of detective work to decipher names and connections. It just does not get better than this!

Thanks for sharing.

#4 Kevin Beyer

Kevin Beyer

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 276
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

I am going to have to agree with SARGE. The condition is better than anything I've ever seen before. And, the historic connections are unbelievable. This was a great addition to your collection!

Thanks for sharing,

Kevin

#5 USAFnav

USAFnav
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,467
  • 789 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:27 AM

A beautiful ribbon, for sure. Nowadays, if you attend a conference or meeting, you get a cheap little card with your name on it, enclosed in a clear plastic holder, to pin on your coat. I like the old elaborate ribbons and even the "medal" type badges. Those were the days...
Pete

Edited by USAFnav, 21 April 2012 - 05:27 AM.

#6 CaptA

CaptA
  • Members
    • Member ID: 54,514
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

These ribbons are quite impressive when you see one in person. You are right the photos never do them justice. That's a beauty!

#7 Patriot

Patriot
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,801
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

It's actually the finest condition CW ribbon that I have ever see. Remarkable!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)