Vietnam Graffiti Helmet

VMI88

I picked up this Vietnam-era M1 helmet in an antique store today:

post-265-1315703447.jpg

Ordinarily I'm pretty skeptical if something seems too good to be true, but the lady who owned the booth said she bought it at a yard sale and didn't have any provenance. At the price she sold it for she must have picked it up for peanuts, so I don't think anyone faked it up to make a profit. I thought I'd show it to the group and get some opinions on it. Somebody certainly put a lot of effort into it.

To me it's not original. I forgot what the V stands for, but lots of covers were marked with a V, I forgot what it stands for. I think someone just used that cover to not draw on an original unmarked one.

All around the bottom edge are the names of Vietnamese villages. I haven't had time to research them yet but presumably these are places the 101st saw action. The cover is well-fitted to the helmet and shows every sign of being there for a long time. I really like the drawing of the M-16 and AK-47.

post-265-1315704149.jpg

Here's the only thing that really gives me pause: a 1978 dated sweatband:

post-265-1315704391.jpg

Of course the sweatband could have been replaced at any time, or even the entire liner might not be original to the helmet. (Note the flat-lipped green buckle on the liner chinstrap!)

I guess in the end you can never prove this is period artwork without provenance but I'd love to know the story behind it! The individual components are easily worth several times what I paid for the helmet.

I agree wholeheartedly with Justin here.

I really do not think this is an original piece, what is the contract date on the cover and could we see the inside of the liner possibly? I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong but i believe the V on the cover is a regimental designator for the 5th Marine Regiment who were in country from 66 to 71. That sort of militates against It being a 101'st helmet as surely It would have gone back Into Corps Inventory rather than passing to a member of 101.

I like the theory about someone using an original graffiti'd cover as a point of departure for this one and adding the other graffitti. It Is quite likely be a 'memory' helmet which a veteran has acquired surplus and decorated to commemorate his service, that would be my best guess.

Yours, Guy.

The cover is dated 1970. I can buy the theory of this being some kind of souvenir helmet made after the war to commemorate a veteran's service. I still really don't think it was produced as a fake because if it was, it's by the most incompetent faker ever! Kind of like the guy who erased the zeroes on a $10 bill to make a fake $1 bill. Like I said, I bought it for much less than the value of the individual components, and I suspect the lady I got it from paid virtually nothing for it. It's interesting for what it is. Thanks to all for the comments and assistance.

post-265-1315747873.jpg

There are many cases of un original WWII era painted helmets and airborne helmets brought at yard sales, Good Will, estates, old ladys and so on for very cheap, doesn't always mean they're original because they are acquired this was. Like all Graffiti covers they could have been done any time after 1972. On an Airsoft forum (am I not am member of) There are 12 pages of graffiti helmets the members have done for their airsoft kits. Some look better than others, but most will most likely being passed off as original sometimes down the line. Or sold off at a somewhere like a eBay, yard sale, estate. You have to look at every graffiti covers with caution and look for red flags, mine with yours are the condition, V's and the 30 roung mag in the m16. I would have brought the helmet for parts. That green buckel strap is a great deal! :thumbsup:

Respectfully,

Justin

The leather chinstrap does not belong in that model of liner. If it's a green buckle you struck gold! These have been selling for in excess of $150+ recently. Take it out, clean off the mould and make yourself a killing! :thumbsup:

The leather chinstrap does not belong in that model of liner. If it's a green buckle you struck gold! These have been selling for in excess of $150+ recently. Take it out, clean off the mould and make yourself a killing! :thumbsup:

You're right -- I neglected to mention that the hooks of the chinstrap are bent so they can be clipped into the buckle that ordinarily takes a web chinstrap. You can sort of see what I'm talking about in the picture of the interior above. The clips should be able to be bent back with no harm done. But I'll be keeping it as I've been looking for one of these!

I'm skeptical. Grunts normally put the fire bases they operated from on helmet covers rather than villages. I had 13 on mine. Lang Vei was an SF camp overrun in 68. I'm not aware of the 101st operating their The lettering does not look very faded as 40 year old graphics should. I'm thinking the V might be the only original marking. The incorrect leather liner chinstrap leads me to think this has been altered for some reason. maybe a re-enactor?