• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Crane

Ken Crane
  • Members
    • Member ID: 79
  • 663 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:58 AM

I just recently picked up this pocket patch, but have no idea what unit it is for. It shipped from Germany, so I'll start by assuming that it has something to do with one of the 3ID units stationed there during the 80's-90's. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Ken

Attached Images

• DSC03588.JPG

#2 Bill K

Bill K
  • Members
    • Member ID: 359
  • 417 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:38 PM

It's a shooting patch, probably for the rifle team. The dots and lines are bullet holes on a target with the measurements between each shot to determine the score. Regards, Bill

#3 Bill K

Bill K
  • Members
    • Member ID: 359
  • 417 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:51 PM

I didn't count the dots before, there's 10, indicating a 10 shot match. The smallest distance between the shots wins the competition. Bill

#4 Ken Crane

Ken Crane
  • Members
    • Member ID: 79
  • 663 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:35 PM

Thanks Bill! That makes sense!

#5 gwb123

gwb123

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,506
  • 17,339 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:58 PM

It's a shooting patch, probably for the rifle team. The dots and lines are bullet holes on a target with the measurements between each shot to determine the score. Regards, Bill

Never having seen this before, I agree. If you start from the outer edge and follow the line, it looks like the process of zeroing the weapon into center. Alternatively, when judging a marksmanship contest you start from the outside and award points as you move inward. Not sure if that makes sense, but it's the first thing I thought of when I saw it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users