United American War Veterans

KevinBeyer

Hello, All,

A fellow collector has provided an image of a badge for a Veterans' Organization that is unknown to me. Does anyone have any information they can provide regarding the United American War Veterans?

UnitedAmericanWarVeterans.jpg

The assumption is that any group with buttons had uniforms and had many members. Or, it is possible that they had hoped to have many members and provided accordingly. A time frame for when this group existed has been proposed as being between 1910 to 1930. The medal is stamped on its reverse C M MEDAL & BADGE CO 212 BROADWAY N.Y. in two lines.

Any assistance with information would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

• 1 month later...

An extremely knowledgeable researcher I know provided me with the following information about this group:

"They were a competitor of the American Legion. Earliest article [found via research] was 1919 with their CIC and founder Col. Warren Shaw Fisher (He's listed as a private in the military census of 1900-Philippines). Born 10/12/1878 PA, died June 1928 NY. Fisher was leader of the Progressive Political League of Manhattan and unsuccessful Progressive Party candidate for NYC Mayor in 1925. The New York Times has a lot of articles about Fisher and the UAWV through his death in 1928. After that, the UAWV is only mentioned twice 1937 and 1954 (obit). ... He appears to be CIC until his death at 49 in 1928."

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

I have managed to add one of these membership medals to my collection. I am pretty pleased. I only just learned of their existence and now I have my own example.

UnitedAmericanWarVeterans2.jpg

A recent eBay auction featured a different medal from the same organization. I do not know if they redesigned their membership medal, or if this version denoted a different class of membership. Again, any information that anyone could provide on this matter would be most appreciated.

Kevin

UnitedAmericanWarVeteransTypeII.jpg

• 1 year later...

A recent eBay auction featured two different officer medals from this organization. I do not know the significance of the silver version of the medal versus the gold. One could speculate department level (silver) versus national level (gold), but I do not have evidence to confirm that.

(The images below were taken from the publicly displayed auction listing and modified to be made viewable.)

UnitedAmericanWarVeteransOfficer.jpg UnitedAmericanWarVeteransOfficer2.jpg

Kevin

• 10 years later...

While I still cannot seem to find much information about this organization, I did find an example of a membership badge from a different maker. I now have an example from "ADVANCE CO 309 BWAY N.Y." and "C.M. MEDAL & BADGE CO. 212 BROADWAY N.Y." My guess is that one company was the original maker and the second was one who could produce the badge cheaper. Which one is which? The quality is about the same, but you can see subtle differences between the two badges.

UnitedAmericanWarVeterans4_750.jpg UnitedAmericanWarVeterans4a_reverse_750.jpg

If anyone has any information about this organization, these badges, or these makers, I would like to know more.

Kevin