RemovingPaint from70s/ 80 s pot

son of desertrat

son of desertrat

Hello

I have an 70s/80s steel pot. Im planing on striping the paint/silica off of it and repainting it/corking it so i cna use it as a WWII reenancting helmet. So im asking how would you remove the paint and silica from it? I didnt see another post aabout this so if there is one please post the link and romove this.

Thanks

Keenan

son of desertrat

Is there like a paint remover that you can put the whole helmet in? Im trying to get ALL of it off

Do a search in "helmets and protective gear" you will find an abundance of topics. If I were you don't strip it though someday these Vietnam lids are going to be worth as much as WW2 lids...all they need is a little help from Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks. Just my $0.02

-Grant

son of desertrat

Well impreaty sure its 80's because it came with 80s era chin straps,80s dated sweat band and a liner dated 74. The only reason im doing this is so i dont have to use a reall WWII helmet for liveing history/reenancting. If i wasnt planing on doing that i wouldnt do this.

Thanks and i will look

Keenan

son of desertrat

I just looked for the paint removel of helmets. And found a few posts but nothing that really gave me an idea of what to do. Would useing comercial paint remover work?

Keenan

I'm in the UK but I know a lot of our US-based members favour a product called "Goof Off" which I believe you can get at stores like Home Depot etc.

Sabrejet

son of desertrat
I'm in the UK but I know a lot of our US-based members favour a product called "Goof Off" which I believe you can get at stores like Home Depot etc.

Sabrejet

Sabrejet,

Thank you! Ill look for some at Home Depot and other stores like that. How would you use it? Spray/pour it on and let it sit or run it until it comes off?

Thanks

Keenan

Sabrejet,

Thank you! Ill look for some at Home Depot and other stores like that. How would you use it? Spray/pour it on and let it sit or run it until it comes off?

Thanks

Keenan

Hi Keenan. I guess you'd just apply it over the shell, let it soak a while then wipe or rinse it off?! If you scroll through the helmet restoration posts you'll find it's referred to frequently. Guys who've used it have recorded their techniques etc. It'd probably be worth you spending a few minutes trawling through the older threads?

Ian :thumbsup:

son of desertrat

Allright thanks! Ill go try to get some soon...ill take pictures thru out the process.

THANKS!

Keenan

I have stripped a couple of helmets before using Goof Off. The stuff is pretty awesome. What I did was go to Home Depot and

bought a gallon of it along with one of their 5 gallon buckets. When I got home I dumped the gallon of Goof Off into the bucket.

Because one of the helmets had about 5 layers of post war paint I let it soak for about an hour, every once in a while pulling it out

and using a fairly soft scrub brush to remove some of the thick layers that had not fallen off in the bucket. The method worked real well

for me, but if you have a helmet that only has one or two layers of repaint on it then keep a close eye on the process so that you dont

take to much off. :thumbsup:

son of desertrat
I have stripped a couple of helmets before using Goof Off. The stuff is pretty awesome. What I did was go to Home Depot and

bought a gallon of it along with one of their 5 gallon buckets. When I got home I dumped the gallon of Goof Off into the bucket.

Because one of the helmets had about 5 layers of post war paint I let it soak for about an hour, every once in a while pulling it out

and using a fairly soft scrub brush to remove some of the thick layers that had not fallen off in the bucket. The method worked real well

for me, but if you have a helmet that only has one or two layers of repaint on it then keep a close eye on the process so that you dont

take to much off. :thumbsup:

Allright ill try it. It has 3 or 4 layers of paint. We have a 5 gallon so how much did the gallon o f it cost? I thought about gettign the spray on stuff and letting to soak for a while then scub it off.

Thanks for the idea!

Keenan

Allright ill try it. It has 3 or 4 layers of paint. We have a 5 gallon so how much did the gallon o f it cost? I thought about gettign the spray on stuff and letting to soak for a while then scub it off.

Thanks for the idea!

Keenan

A gallon is 20 bucks. Its sorta a lot of money for a one shot deal. I saved mine in the bucket by putting a lid on it so that I could use it on my next project, stripping the shell of a million post war coats of paint on a bc-611. :thumbsup:

son of desertrat

Ok thats a little out of price range right now...i think ill find a smaller bucker of it it or do the spray on it. If taht doesnt work. Ill save up to get the gallon bucket.

Thnaks

Keenan

I have used a stripper for automotive use that is a spray on remover in a can, cant remember a name but just go to your local automotive parts store like AutoZone etc.....probably $5 a can and will strip right down to metal in no time at all if thats what you want to do, it will not save any under layers of paint, very strong stuff....mike

son of desertrat

That is exactly what im trying to do! Ill try it and if it doesnt all come off ill get the goof off. Agian thanks to all who've commented! Now all i need is either repro or original chinstraps,paint,and cork(ill try to make the cork my sel)

Keenan

son of desertrat
Lacquer thinner eats threw anything, except metal. it might be worth a try.

Thanks! Ive allready started useing good off...its working ggreat!

Keenan

Thanks agian guys

Robswashashore
Thanks! Ive allready started useing good off...its working ggreat!

Keenan

Thanks agian guys

Keep us posted on the project, Keenan!

son of desertrat
Wow. I am impressed. Can't wait to see the corking part! :thumbsup:

Me too Im going to buy a cork(wine cork or small piece of it and chop it up put a thin layre of paint then springle the cork on then the mianlarye of paint.

Thanks

Keenan

Got the paint today. What works the same as cork but not cork?(dont havecork)

Keenan

Maybe some course sawdust, or sand.