Numbered Service Medals - Names?

bayonetman

I was given a display of US Service Medals some time ago by the widow of an older collector. Most are newer, a few are numbered. I know very little about these, are any of the numbered ones that I have identifiable to the recipient?

Spanish Campaign Medal - 11863

Spanish War Service Medal - 15995

Philippine Congressional Medal - No. 8538

Cuban Pacification Medal - 6740

I know that a lot of the numbers cannot be traced, but thought I would ask just in case.

Thanks for any help anyone may be able to give.

DSC00002.jpg

That's a nice looking display! :thumbsup:

Spanish Campaign #11863 - not tracable

SWSM #15995 - Issued to PVT Ulysses G. Packard, Co. L, 18th US Infantry

Philippine Congressional No.8538 - not tracable

Cuban Pacification #6740 - Not tracable, but this medal is a rare contract variation. Joseph Mayer Co. made only about 500 Cuban Pacification medals with un-prefixed numbers in the 6501 - 7000 range.

In response to a couple of PMs requesting photos of the Cuban Pacification medal:

CubanPaciPair.jpg

That's one beautiful medal! Keep me in mind if you ever want to sell or trade it ;)

Thanks for sharing,

G

So...where can one find this reference for finding names for our numbered medals?

They are becoming harder to find, but LTC Albert F Gleim did an immense amount of extremely valuable research on numbered medals (as well as all others, too!). Many of his lists were published by the now defunct Planchet Press. By no means complete, they are the best references we have. I think I read somewhere here on the forum that someone was reprinting these at fairly reasonable prices (just cannot recall who). The books are not your typical professionally bound types, with the spines being stapled, but are very well done and, again, the most valuable resources we have for this purpose. The next best is Gleim's composite book "Medal Notes," which is compiled from different newsletters of his and all kinds of amazing, in depth and incredible material. This is available from OMSA -Orders and Medals Society of America. I strongly recommend you join, if this is your bag. You can check them out online (omsa.com). Word of caution, there are only a very small percentage of medals that are indeed traceable. Good luck!

G

It is true that Navy & USMC campaign medals have skimpy ranges of traceable medal numbers. However, the situation is more favorable for Army campaign medals, for which the late Colonel Gleim published a series of medal number rosters. For example, the Philippine Campaign roster has about 25,000 medal numbers, versus about 33,000 total numbered medals with "No." and no prefixes. Also the Mexican Border Service medal roster has 34,000 medal numbers, versus about 41,000 total numbered medals. Again, the Indian Wars roster covers about 1900 medals, versus about 2200 total medals with No. and no prefixes. The separate series of "M.No." campaign medals sold to discharged veterans have never been traceable to date.

The Army AGO kept detailed medal issue records for campaign medals, which included the DSC and DSM. But in 1925, Army medal issue was transferred to the Philadelphia QM Depot which did not continue the AGO record system. So campaign medal issues up to 1925 are usually traceable. However large blocks of decoration numbers are missing in the DSC & DSM rosters.