ARVN Rucksack?

islandhopper

For years I have wondered about my rucksack as to whether or not it was U.S. or not. I picked it up at a surplus store about 30 years ago. Looks just like this one:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads/mo...-1211211995.jpg

Mine is canvas and is unmarked. It's been on many camping/float trips with me and is really nice shape still - so it's held up well. I finally found it on this forum and am very pleased to know what it is.

I just wanted to make sure that I had the information right as to it being an ARVN item and wondered what year (or there abouts) it was made. Thank you.

craig_pickrall

The ARVN were issued the M1945 Pack early on as seen in many photos. I have never seen this in writting but think this pack was made as an improved replacement for the M45. It is about the same size as the M45 but has the 2 large external pockets, the X frame to add support and rigitidy, and improved shoulder straps that are separate from the suspenders. I have never seen one of these packs with any data printed on it but believe they would have been made between 1962 and 1965.

Thank you very much for this information. I have wanted to know for years what its origin was. I think I probably paid about $10 or so about 30 years ago for it. It's in really good shape, being a dark OD color, all the straps are present and no tears or anything. The only thing missing is the X frame for it. I thought something had to go there but never knew. Probably not worth that much without the frame but I've always been fond of it and glad to now know who and what it was made for. Thanks again!