Moth nipping, where does it come from?

hawkdriver

Tonight, I had a pest control service come by and do an analysis of my homestead, which is faily new. This year, we are really being inundatd with insects and spiders inside the house. The guy made the rounds for termites, and other pests. When we were done and doing the consultation portion, I asked if he saw any indications of moths that could damage my wool clothing collection.

He asked if I had anything that had damage, which I just happened to have an Air Force wool service cap. It had several small "moth nips" in it and I took it to show him. Instantly, he said that it wasn't moths that did that, it was silverfish. We found signs of silverfish and I have found a couple in my basement in the past. He said that moths typically eat ragged holes, Silverfish eat small round or slightly oval holes.

While my room is pretty well sealed against moths, silverfish are another issue. Next week, I will get this issue taken care of, thought I would pass it on as I had no idea that Silverfish ate natural materials such as wool, cotton, and silk.

Thanks for the heads up Hawk. Is there any insectide, short of hiring a professional, a person could use to stop silverfish? Thanks.

Arch

If I heard the guy right, they are going to use boron? He said it was completely harmless to mammals, but deadly to insects. Said our parents used it in about everything from soap to eye wash. A very fine dust that they will "puff" into the walls and other areas. I don't know if this is something that can be commercially purchased. I will look into it and see what I can come up with.

He did say something else, Naptha has been linked to dementia in elderly people, so don't use moth balls if you have elderly folks around.

Just went to google and typed in "Napthalene Dementia", some very interesting reading there. Also, typed in "Boron Insecticide" Lots of information there on Boron used as a insecticide for ants, cockroaches, fleas, and silverfish.

HD,

Have seen the old Borax in a box used for insects too.Dont know if its still avaiable.

RD

Yup still around (work in a grocery store).

88thcollector

it is borax, as is 20 mule team. supposedly you can mix it with cornstarch and they will eat it. I think the crystals cut through their exoskeletons when they eat it or walk through it and they dry out. They are disgusting and will eat anything organic.

If you have a modern house with spun cellulose insulation, you will usually have them. I have used borax before with some success but I don't care much for green technology, I like WMD and chemical warfare. A bug bomb in the attic will usually kill them off for a long time. Getting rid of unneeded cardboard and textiles helps also.

http://www.asktheexterminator.com/Househol...lver_Fish.shtml

Steve

If I heard the guy right, they are going to use boron? He said it was completely harmless to mammals, but deadly to insects. Said our parents used it in about everything from soap to eye wash. A very fine dust that they will "puff" into the walls and other areas. I don't know if this is something that can be commercially purchased. I will look into it and see what I can come up with.

He did say something else, Naptha has been linked to dementia in elderly people, so don't use moth balls if you have elderly folks around.

After reading this thread, I went and did a bit of research....they say they are quite common

in the United States and Canada, even in Europe to a degree.

I don't remember ever seeing any in places where I have lived....they sure are nasty little creatures though, from

what I saw in some photos!

For those of you who may have this problem, just google "Silverfish" and there will be lot's of ways to

rid of these things...

I guess it has something to do with moisture....places like basements, cellars, bathrooms, etc?

Duffy

if its one thing I hate more than roaches its silverfish!

I had no idea that they ate wool, and other stuff.

That has me worried. I try to keep my stuff in the large zip lock bags, but some of my stuff is located in the original trunks. What can you do about this? Stick a box of boron in the trunk like we do Arm & Hammer in the fridge?

Thanks

cmjordan77,

I have seen only two cockroaches in my time and I can't say I would like to see

anymore! The ones I saw were about the length of a cigarette pack.

I saw the first one when I was working for Mitsubishi, they were bringing in old

sports cars from Mexico....I guess this cockroach came along for the ride!

The other one was outside of a brand new Walmart superstore that had recently

opened up in the area, it was outside in the parking lot....I figured it most likely

came off a delivery truck, or maybe from a vehicle that was parked....perhaps

brought back from some road trip......nasty creatures.

To think off them inside a house, I couldn't handle that!

Do you encounter these where you are?

Duffy

New Romantic

This reminds me of a story a friend of mine told me. When he was a teenager he had his father's WWI uniform ( My friend is around 60). Well the coat had become infested with silverfish and was pretty much destroyed. He wanted to clean it and save it but his mother wouldn't let him.

Cobrahistorian

Hawk,

Thanks for the heads up! I knew silverfish ate cellulose (paper, etc) but wasn't aware they ate wool too. I've seen several in my basement (where my war room is!) and figure I'll nuke the little bastards as soon as I can!

Jon

88thcollector
Hawk,

Thanks for the heads up! I knew silverfish ate cellulose (paper, etc) but wasn't aware they ate wool too. I've seen several in my basement (where my war room is!) and figure I'll nuke the little bastards as soon as I can!

Jon

They are hell on paper. They make the little tracks on the surface of paper. holes also but they can get behind a framed item and eat it up on the back.

I think they are some sort of alien critter. they don't look like they belong on this planet.

Oh, if you start seeing spiders in your house, it is a good chance you have silverfish (or roaches). The spiders ain't eating canned goods is how an exterminator explained it to me. When we go on vacation, I always use a bug bomb on every level.

Steve

hawkdriver

I also just found out that "Pill Bugs" (rolly-pollies) are no saints either. I have them in my basement as well. I feel like I live in a freaking bug restaurant!

88thcollector
I also just found out that "Pill Bugs" (rolly-pollies) are no saints either. I have them in my basement as well. I feel like I live in a freaking bug restaurant!

and crickets, little suckers eat anything and they eat fast. Paper, cloth, leather. Especially if it is damp.

88thcollector

If you are ready to be done with all bugs and termites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fipronil

It is the best. It is as safe as any chemical can be if used as directed. Get an exterminator to treat your house and you will be bug free for years. Your neighbors also.

My cabin was being eaten up by carpenter ants. Just a tiny amount of a fipronil product in the attic and they are gone from every level.

Steve

88thcollector
They will be here monday.

just be sure what they are using. Boric acid works ok if you want to keep up continual applications and have the dust all over. if you want it solved, fipronil is the way to go.

Hawk,

Jon

Jon,

Can't use nukes, they just absorb radiation! :)

Saw one put in a microwave in physics class; it just kept going, when the prof opened the door he crawled right out.

They are disgusting but amazing in their own way. But if it eats wool, IT DIES!

Funny how things come up though, I just learned about Boric acid as an insecticide last week.

T-Bone

Cobrahistorian

I forgot about that! D'oh!

Definitely need the exterminator to come through ASAP. I've got ALL of my grandfather's stuff in the basement, much of it framed and on the walls. I'll. Be damned if some wriggly too-many-legged critters are gonna do anything to that stuff!!!

Jon,

Can't use nukes, they just absorb radiation! :)

Saw one put in a microwave in physics class; it just kept going, when the prof opened the door he crawled right out.

They are disgusting but amazing in their own way. But if it eats wool, IT DIES!

Funny how things come up though, I just learned about Boric acid as an insecticide last week.

T-Bone

cmjordan77,

I have seen only two cockroaches in my time and I can't say I would like to see

anymore! The ones I saw were about the length of a cigarette pack.

I saw the first one when I was working for Mitsubishi, they were bringing in old

sports cars from Mexico....I guess this cockroach came along for the ride!

The other one was outside of a brand new Walmart superstore that had recently

opened up in the area, it was outside in the parking lot....I figured it most likely

came off a delivery truck, or maybe from a vehicle that was parked....perhaps

brought back from some road trip......nasty creatures.

To think off them inside a house, I couldn't handle that!

Do you encounter these where you are?

Duffy

Duffy,

I hope you weren't planning to come down to Florida any time soon! :lol:

Apparently the Silverfish does have some natural predators besides Cobrahistorian!!

All you need to do is scatter a load of these around the house and all your problems will just vanish!!! :twothumbup:

post-4976-1246493082.jpg

post-4976-1246493101.jpg

Oh well if I have to use these damn 1000 thousand feet thing then I am pretty sure I'd rather prefer to begin to collect beer cans,first full then after close examination just the empties.......

Or if its a really bad infestation, a dozen of these could do the trick.