M1905 Bayonet in M1910 Scabbard

Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Here is one of my personal favorites, a Model of 1905 bayonet made at Springfield Armory in 1914 and still in pre WW1 "bright blade" configuration despite it's apparent issue in WW2. Scabbard is a WW1 period Model of 1910 with replacement cover made by BOYT in 1941 and so marked. What originally attracted me to this piece was the name O. F. WERNER stencilled to the reverse side in yellow paint. Since the name is in the Naval services format and paint stencilled on I think it's very likely it was issued to a Marine. The Marines retained these 16" bladed bayonets far longer than the Army did. They were still around on Iwo and Okinawa.

post-4-1163417892.jpg

• 2 years later...

Greg,

I've got a 1917 1905 bayonet/1910 scabbard that goes with a 1917 1903 Springfield that I have. The trouble is that the scabbard cover has shrunk in storage. Can this cover be stretched or do I need to find a replacement cover? How is the replacement cover installed? With glue? Thanks.

1905bay02.jpg

1905bay05.jpg

1905bay03.jpg

1905bay08.jpg

Greg Robinson
Greg,

I've got a 1917 1905 bayonet/1910 scabbard that goes with a 1917 1903 Springfield that I have. The trouble is that the scabbard cover has shrunk in storage. Can this cover be stretched or do I need to find a replacement cover? How is the replacement cover installed? With glue? Thanks.

Occasionally you'll see a cover that's held on with a rivit....but most just slipped on over the wood and rawhide body and are held on by friction. Sometimes they're easy to remove....sometimes not. Most are now about 90 years old and over time, especially if they got wet, they shrink. And since shrinkage is a common problem with those I'd suggest leaving it alone. I've seen many cases where covers were ruined during the process of removing them and/or installing them. DO NOT try to stretch the cover....that usually results in torn seams and split leather tips.