Earth finds Europe

steven

Hello,

I told in my introduction that i love searching with a metal detector on the battle fields of ww2 in Europe and hereby i wanted to share some findings of last sunday.

The first great finding on 08-02-2009 was this German lp 42 flare gun.

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

And the other super find was this id-tag ,i allready looked him up on the nara aad for some more information about him,and now i`m trying to find the familie ,maybay somebody can help me with my search??

023.jpg

024.jpg

031.jpg

For the Anderson dog tag: That part of James Street in Syracuse was an area of large, expensive homes in 1940s. It has been redeveloped and many of the homes have been replaced with commercial and office/apartment buildings, so the family does not live at that address now.

Anderson does not appear to be a fatal casualty.

Thanks for the nice reply`s and info.

I will keep this topic updated with other finds i did from the future en the past,so i don`t have to open a lot of topics.

This is a little piece of a German id-tag of the navy (kriegsmarine).

IMGP0440.jpg

On this picture is a US meat can,German id-tag,piece of a US flaslight.

IMGP0277.jpg

US flaslight

IMGP0260.jpg

Raf lighter battle relic of opertaion market garden

WeekendbijFrans040.jpg

WeekendbijFrans038.jpg

WeekendbijFrans039.jpg

Thanks for the post. What are the unexploded hazards? Some one told me that there are sections in some areas that are fenced off or is this urban legend?

Thanks for the post. What are the unexploded hazards? Some one told me that there are sections in some areas that are fenced off or is this urban legend?

The unexploded hazards are not to big,but you got to be careful when you find a unexploded opject and dig it out with care.

And there are places where sections are fenced off ,but the most of the time you will see signs hanging in the trees with be careful lots of unexploded munition or no entrance because of the amunition still in the ground.

Nice finds. That would really be fun hunting and finding pieces of history no matter what they are. I've dug up some civil war stuff that unfortunately my sisters did something with while I was in Viet Nam. All I have left are a few artifacts that they didn't find when they cleaned out my room.

Keep the reports coming.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi steven,

The dog tags was from James C ANDERSON Jr.

He was from New York State and he joined the us army on 13th november 1942 in Syracuse - New York.

In a friendly way from France. thumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...

Fresh from the Market-Garden battle field ,Groesbeek this US helmet from the 82st 504th airborne division.

022-1.jpg

021-1.jpg

035.jpg

And this from a fox hole.

001-3.jpg

001-4.jpg

036.jpg

This is de front off the helmet with a red bar?? i don`t know what this is can someone help me with the determination of the red bars en black cirkels above de bails on the side of the helmet.

030-1.jpg

029-1.jpg

028-2.jpg

026-1.jpg

EasyRed1944

To me , maybe others will have the same thoughts , its an M2 helmet that has been used from D-day Normandy till the Private lost it in Groesbeek ( Market Garden ) .

The black ball on the side of the helmet has to refer to the 505th PIR....I have seen it in a d-day book.

The red pieces of paint are tactical markings maybe ?

I think so but i`m not sure.

And in the steel helmet are the markings H-H but i can`t find the name on the 82nd site`s or on the NARA.

Can someone help me with this.

The black circles (cannonballs) indicate that it is a 3rd Battalion 505th PIR helmet.

No idea what the red stripe is, sorry, never seen that before.

There was a Raymond F Hart in G Company according to one version of the rosters I've seen (they have no dates as to service, nor any other useful info - just a list of names). That's the closest to "Hyat" that appears on them, sorry.

Cheers,

Glen.

The red markings on the helmet are from the gas paint its a reaction with the stuff i put on the helmet to preserve him against rust.

The red markings on the helmet are from the gas paint its a reaction with the stuff i put on the helmet to preserve him against rust.

You're confusing me now....! think.gif

The red bars - are you saying that they're not really red paint, but used to be gas detection paint that has turned red because of the rust-proofer you've put on?

Cheers,

Glen.

Changing up the brightness, contrast, etc. really did not help to much on the name. Definately a HY in the beginning with a possible third letter before the last two? think.gif

Troy

post-1304-1238460494.jpg