mini-cav?

itshistory

I have had this for some time and have not been able to tie it to a unit. Mini-cav was used by a number of units, the numerals in their position do not relate to anything and the callsign PERVERT can not be found in the information I have available to me. The red, white and blue were typically the platoons of an Air Cavalry troop and the bottle with a minigun on the side alludes to an OH-6 perhaps. The bottle has 69 and 70 written on it. If anyone has something solid concerning this patch would you please share it with us?

IH

post-12336-0-61477800-1560878731_thumb.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Mini-Cav may denote a Minigun armed helo and 'pervert' may have been perverted when new.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Chris. Sorry to take so long, to reply. I'm about to hit the Big 72, and it took a while to recall "stuff".

If you go to my book WINGED SABERS (Chapter 7), you will find the info on Mini Cav. It referred to a smaller tactical operation within D Trp, 3/4 Cav (the air cav trp for the 25th ID). Rather than commit the entire assets of the troop (9 Cobras, 9 Loaches and 5 Hueys), it allowed most of the assets to be held in reserve, should things hit the fan. The Mini Cav usually consisted of 2 Loaches, 2 Snakes and a Lift Ship. Of the 500+ air cavalrymen I interviewded who served during the RVN conflict, only those who served w/ D-3/4 Cav mentioned "Mini Cav". It was considered a major faux pas, to steal another unit's lingo or call signs.

Thoughts on the Patch: I believe that 69-70 was the year this trooper served in D-3/4. That date coincides with the date from the Troop CO's personal log) (excerpts in my book, Chp 7. "Pervert" was probably the pilot's call sign, utilized on on an unofficial UHF or VHF net. While flying missions, pilots would unoffically "meet up" there, knowing the higher brass would not be eves dropping. In flight school my call sign was "Sex Machine", as I was always signing James Brown's song.... "Git on up, like a Sex Machine". My call sign, while the Scout Platoon Commander was "El Tee El Zee"; and my call sign while serving as the Troop Ops Officer was "Green Shoes" - we won't go there, LOL. I suspect that 63 was the second part of the pilot's call sign - ie - "Pervert 63". With all the RVN-made patches in your collection, I KNOW you've seen a BIZZION unit patches, the meanings of which iare (today) lost in the fog of history.

Lastly, during the RVN conflict, there were NO Army "helos". To refer to an Army helicopter as such would grant you a quick trip to "wedgie land", lol.

H

Garandomatic

That is literally the unit a cousin of mine flew Loaches with... I think he may have been there just before that, though. D Troop, 3/4 Cav.