• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bldrhouse

bldrhouse
  • Members
    • Member ID: 212,241
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 01:47 PM

Looking for a simple cleaning kit that will cover pistols and up to .30 cal rifles for my WWII weapons.

A number on Amazon but seeking feedback/experience.

Prefer something small and simple in a small case or roll up?

Tabletop cleaning mat?

Also, any brands of cleaning materials -- oil, lubes -- better for those 70+ years old than others -- or any to avoid?

I hardly ever fire them, but want to start fresh with newly-acquired items.

Yes, I have the USGI cleaning kit that came with M1 Garand but prefer a metal rod to the pull-through.

Thank you.

zk

#2 USARV72

USARV72
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,975
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:05 AM

Check the “ new” pull through ones. Braided “ rope” sized for bores with built in brass brush with solvent/ cleaner tab. Weighted end tab dropped in breach end of barrel, add cleaner or lube, pull through and finished. Easy to store rolled up in tupperware type container. Walmart, Academy Sports, Sportsman Warehouse and most gun shops carry them.

#3 VMI88

VMI88
  • Members
    • Member ID: 265
  • 2,892 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:12 AM

I like the rope style cleaners myself, but also check out the Otis kits.  You can buy a small kit with brushes and jags that cover everything from .22 to .45 cal.

#4 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,596 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:28 AM

https://www.brownell...icals/index.htm

#5 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,596 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:29 AM

https://www.brownell....aspx?rrec=true

#6 gomorgan

gomorgan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 75,820
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:20 AM

I've got several but the Otis kits are nice, handy to take to the range/field and do a great job.  The bore snakes are also very good but not handy to carry, and are only good for the bore cleaning portion of the cleaning process.

#7 rooster77

rooster77
  • Members
    • Member ID: 181,333
  • 980 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:24 PM

Personally, maybe most would'nt use them. But I really like and use the old m-16 issue GI cleaning kit.

Relatively small durable nylon pouch with rod sections and nib and brush. and toothbrush.

Also hold some patches a bottle of break free and has a velcro pocket inside. ALICE clip on the back.

Thats what I use. You can buy some off the shelf bushes for dif calibers as long as the threads match up.

Ive never tried them but I've read about and like the idea of the pull through lanyard types mentioned by

VMI88 above.

#8 bldrhouse

bldrhouse
  • Members
    • Member ID: 212,241
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 06:46 AM

Thanks for all the ideas; bought an Otis kit that covers range (no pun intended) from .22 to .45 ACP.

Like the pull-thru's for convenience.

z

#9 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,793 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:56 AM

You can find loose bore snakes for about $15 to supplement your Otis Kit. I have a custom cleaning kit for my service rifle...includes an Otis Kit, bore snake, dental picks, chamber swabs shaped to fit between and clean the lugs, and various other specialty tools. cheaperthandirt.com is a great site for bits and bobs at fair prices 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users