Private Purchase F-S Stiletto?

Tom Kibler

Tom,

You have a gorgeous example of a very desirable knife there. I would guess that your dad Or whoever he got the blade from, traded for the F-S and opted to take the name off of the blade since it no longer belonged to the original owner.

I'm often time amazed at how often fighting knives traded hands in WWII. I've seen some real rarities show up in the hands of veterans who wouldn't have normally been able to have one issued. As an example, I am always blown away by how many V-42 force knives ended up in the hands of non-forcemen.

Thanks for sharing this one. It is a beaut!

Allan

Couldn't put it any better than Allan already has. I've had a few of these. Seems there always something different to find, but yours is the apex. Jack

I was TDY to England in the mid 70's. Traded a BX bought 6 inch KABAR 1209 to a Local service man for a 1976 dated Nato marked F-S knife. Tradition.

Nice second pattern FS knife.Would say its a private purchase.These typically lacked the broad arrow stamp on guard.Yours still appears to be a hand ground blade due to the v shape under the guard.This carried over into the third pattern knives for a short time.

• 2 months later...

Nice second pattern F/S knife which is a private purchase knife as he most likely went into the Wilkinson factory in London, England and ordered it. He had them add his name in a scroll but looks hard to read. He had it personalized as many soldiers this did at that time. Excellent knife!

Bill