• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Plainsrunner

Plainsrunner
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 204,798
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:23 PM

I found this item on a Spanish American War camp.    This particular camp has a fascinating history --   this was a "colored unit" that got into a very well publicized series of racially charged incidents and violence with other units.    These events made the front page of the NY Times, papers nationwide, and even in England.   

I've obscured the name while I research the individual here in this picture, so that funny looking spot in the middle is where the soldier's name is.  

UcJpMZT.jpg

#2 TheMariner

TheMariner
  • Members
    • Member ID: 160,496
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:23 PM

Great find, why hide the name ? Im sure others here would be more then willing to help here with your research! That is what this community is about! 

#3 Plainsrunner

Plainsrunner
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:32 PM

Great find, why hide the name ? Im sure others here would be more then willing to help here with your research! That is what this community is about! 

In short, I had some people on Facebook get overzealous about 'finding the family' or even trying to claim they were family when clearly they were not.    I mean one guy had zero relation other than the same last name and had no black lineage at all.   So I decided to obscure the name. Most of those people were trying to just claim the relic I think.  lol

Edited by Plainsrunner, 04 December 2018 - 08:32 PM.

#4 Plainsrunner

Plainsrunner
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:10 AM

Were these types of shields used by the soldiers as a form of dog tag or identification?

#5 illinigander

illinigander
  • Members
    • Member ID: 168,596
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 02:01 PM

Were they at Camp Alger in VA?  There were race problems while waiting/hoping to go to Cuba.

Illinigander

#6 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,954 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 02:09 PM

Good ol' fashioned Facebook.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users